Now that I'm an atheist, I need some new vocabulary.  "Oh my God!", "Good Lord!", Jesus Christ!", and "God damn it" all have to go.  What can I replace these God-isms with except for Atheism-isms - but which ones?  What else to say instead?  There ought to be a hand-book or something... let's make one.  And let's have fun (I hope) doing it.

Tags: christ, damn, god, good, it, jesus, lord, my, oh

Views: 270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ten Thousand Thundering Typhoons!
Billions of Blue Blistering Barnacles!
Tintin!
I don't see why they have to go. Please don't take "jesus christ monkey balls" away from me.
lol - that is the first time I've heard that one. Cracked me up almost as much as when I heard Penn (on Bullshit!) say, "Jesus Christ on a stick!"
I personally like "Holy Smokes" and "Jeez y Creezy".
I've been replacing "Oh my God" and "Thank God" with "oh my goodness" and "thank goodness", personally.
I frequently say "Jumping Jesus On A Pogo Stick"
You said that they did not want to mention anything out of the Bible, but Jehoshaphat was a person in the old testament.....though it was not spelled the same.
- Beards and bedsteads!
- Horns and halibuts!
- Bulbs and bolsters!
- Whistles and whirligigs!
- Soup and celery!
- Thimbles and thunderstorms!
- Lobsters and lollipops!
- Giants and junipers!
- Tubs and tortoiseshells!
- Bottles and battledores!
- Bilge and beanstocks!
- Cobbles and kettledrums!
- Wraiths and wreckage!
- Weights and watterbottles!
- Crows and crockery!
Here is a good list of other 'fictional' expletives. Some of them are pretty falunking great.

http://www.exampleproblems.com/wiki/index.php/List_of_fictional_exp...

That link leads to a page with nothing on it.

The vocabulary you use is best adjusted according to the target audience.

First of all, I have to say that there is NO such thing as bad words . . . only bad intent.

Taking that into consideration, religious folk will not "get" or care about atheist substitutions for God, Jesus or anything else they hold holy. Atheists might enjoy it . . . but believers will be left in the dark, in general.

"God damn it" will hold more import than "FSM damn it". "For Christ's sake" will grab attention more than "Great Zeus".

Like it or not, most cultures around the world identify with an Abrahamic god. That's our history and that's the root of many cultures.

Shock values comes from challenging the accepted worldview. I can only hope that, one day, people will exclaim, "What in the name of Science are you talking about?!?"

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service