Eventually there comes a time when we as rational adults have to give up some things in the face of logic.
Religion is probably the biggest hurdle.
Besides giving up the belief in a nostalgic paradise after death, there are a ton of other modes of thought we have to let go of.
Here is a list of the things I miss believing in:

Karma- The world isn't fair. Bad things happen to good people, and vice versa. The idea that the dickheads of existence would eventually get what's coming to them had always been a comfort to me. Call it hell, karma, justice or whatever, the fact of the matter is that humans are imperfect, so is our system of fairness. Our laws and punishments don't work 100% of the time. Nature itself is only fair in such a broad way, it does little to appease the individual situations that I am forced to witness. I want people to be held accountable, damnit! Letting go of that notion was hard for me.

Ghosts/ESP/Astrology/Whatever- Right, not so much the astrology for me personally, but I have always been in love with the supernatural. In fact, I do still cling on to this notion more than any self respecting atheist should. Evidence points to the conclusion that there is no "beyond the veil" but I just like to think that there are energies/dimensions/again, whatever out there that science hasn't discovered the technology to explore yet, let alone explain. As I said. I LIKE to think that. I'm not saying I do (anywhere but in the secret fantasies of my own overly imaginative brain.) All technology is magic to anyone sufficiently ignorant to it's workings. Hell, my iphone could be a wizard's wand for all I know....right? Anyway. I mourn the ghost stories of my childhood. I have to realize that frightening coincidences are just that. Coincidence.

Friends and Family- While this isn't a system of belief so much as it is a real, physical loss, I have to realize that there are some people out there that cannot accept my lack of faith. These people have systematically cut me from their lives. It was probably the most humane thing to do, in all honesty. I know there are certain right-wing god-fearing women out there that I love but can no longer stand the presence of due to the drastic differences in our ideology. :(

Someone looking out for me- Religion teaches you that there is always someone that loves you, and there is always some master plan. Even if things are bad now, they will be better soon, and all problems will be magically resolved as long as you keep the faith. As much bullshit as it is, the feeling that I don't have too much responsibilities for my failures was always a nice one. Especially now when I'm underemployed. Oh what I'd give to be able to sleep at night knowing that god doesn't close a window without opening a door.

Ultimate enlightenment- Even as a child, the concept of heaven sounded flimsy to me. It was.. well.. boring. But learning all the answers to the questions I accumulated was the one thing that made it ok to die. Oh... that and pet heaven. I am far too curious to sit on a fluffy cloud and play the harp, but I would like to know EVERYTHING that has always bugged me.

So that's my list. I'm sure I'll think of more later on.
You guys tell me about the things you miss now!

Views: 561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry about you missing friends and family!
The rest of the items deserve a "good riddance", and never existed anyway. So..........nothing missing for us non believers!
You don't have to give anything up to be atheist. It simply means you don't believe in a god or gods. The rest you may come across later as your quest for truth reveals the web of lies taught by people who think they mean well.

Sorry, but I have a big problem with the whole, you have to believe x. No, you don't. Atheism isn't about having to believe or not believe, it isn't dogma. It's descriptive, not a belief system.
No one's saying anyone has to believe in x to be an atheist - but in general being an atheist goes along with rational thinking, which, again in general, leads to the rejection of supernatural things. It's not that atheism demands this, it's that the way a large number of atheists minds work results in the things Misty listed. One of the things she said was family - that has nothing to do with believing or not believing in something, that's just people that can't accept someones atheism. The way I'm reading it she didn't mean it at all the way you are taking it.
Well said, Nelson. I am routinely frustrated by irrational atheists.

I am also frustrated by dictionary definitions of "atheism". I think they usually miss the mark of what atheism is (or isn't). Someone on T|A had a blog post or discussion regarding that, but I can't find it at the moment.

Of course, we have gone round and round on the semantics of atheism before.
You definitely said what I was trying to say much better than me haha.
Well said :)
Nelson, forgive me oh great one for reading over one word. You have proved time and time again that you are the end all be all. Is there anything you don't tear apart? Do you do anything but sit on this site all day, waiting to pounce on someone's mistakes?

Geez, get a life and fark off. I'd like to see one post you've left that isn't just you being a dick.
Lolwut? I think that Nelson is one of the nicest people on here. *Shrug* I really don't think he was pouncing on your mistake so much as arguing a counterpoint. That's what people do in philosophy. If anything, having someone argue against you is to your benefit as it will only serve to help you strengthen your own points and clarify your own ideas.
Sorry, forgot one thing. Pulled from www.dictionary.com

a⋅the⋅ism
  /ˈeɪθiˌɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ey-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
Use atheism in a Sentence
See web results for atheism
See images of atheism
–noun
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings
The hope that on some level the universe is really fair. Realizing that the universe is completely random, and doesn't give a rat's ass about the concept of fairness, or karma, or right and wrong, and that things just happen. It makes me wonder why I am compelled to adhere to my own code of morality, and then I remember, evolution!
Atheism is hard. We are the ones who have to push back at the mindless throngs who have accepted the lobotomy of dogmatic servitude. There is so much work to be done. Atheists don't posess the moral vacuum to subjugate the masses with the fear of eternal damnation that has allowed the hierarchy to amass such power and influence. We have too much integrity. Our road is long, and our load is heavy. That is why we gravitate towards each other in this way. It is an inherent quality for the pursuit of what is right for our survival. It is easy for the religious to step on whomever they deem unrighteous or gullible enough to buy their lies. The exploitation of children is a prime example of this attitude, this system of belief. It is easy to be nostalgic and apologetic. However, we all know how far they are willing to go to inflict their agenda, and we cannot for a second, give them any slack. I do wish that this was not the case, and I too find myself battling with it all.
Rational skepticism (which isn't required to be an atheist, but sure helps) does tend to cause many of the fanciful imaginings of the world to fade away when looked at with a critical eye. I don't miss the belief in ghosts, goblins, witches, Santa, and the like (I never bought into astrology, crystals, etc), but the idea of karma was pleasant.
Ghosts/ESP/Astrology/Whatever-
As a adult, about 15 years ago I saw what I would/could only describe as an apparition in the wee hours one morning of a grandfatherly figure point out through a window, across my bed. Not knowing the history, I later learned my sister and her husband were living in the house where hubby's grandfather had lived and died. I described how the grandfatherly figure appeared and all color drained from my brother-in-laws face; It was his pawpaw.
Great Story, and I could stretch it out verbally for 15 minutes if I had an eager audience. But there is no afterlife of that I am convinced. I just miss the rush such thoughts and experiences used to cause :)

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 25 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service