Discuss

Tags: purpose, reason

Views: 793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if it's called  a cake it must be edible! hehe

Oh my, that's funny.  Thank you!

@ Karl

Yes, it's certainly not that way here in the US, and, I don't recall it being quite that likely when I last was in Britain.  I grew up there, but haven't been back for over 20 years, sadly...

Though, I have to admit, even in the late '80s early 90s it was much easier being an atheist in Britain than it is in a lot of parts of the US.  Or it seems so in my memory, at least, but we all know the mind can play those old nostalgia tricks.  Here in the US, some places are better than others, but in no place I've spent time in are the atheists anywhere close to a majority.

Cathy, come to Vermont.  58% are non-religious.  Page 2 of this link gives a table for all the states and the distribution between "very religious", "moderately religious", and "nonreligious" Americans.

Vermont scores 23%, 20% and 58% respectively (yes, I know that's 101% but the figures are rounded) and is the least religious state in the USA - or as a state government official said to me a couple of days ago, "come to Vermont - the Godless State" and laughed.

I laughed too :)

Well apparently Colorado does tolerably well (33/27/40) on that too... though you wouldn't know it from where I live!

...And I notice from the big table that only one state has more than a third moderately religious, and that's Delaware.  Just barely, at 34%.  Utah has only 15% moderate.... so I guess it's pretty darned polarized there.

To paraphrase Judge Judy; If it don't make sense, it ain't true.

I don't think it is up to anyone to decide what is or isn't atheism.  Part of free thought as I see it is having the right to formulate and give our opinions.  I'm not really sure by what you meant by most of the things you said.  I mean we all have to follow rules.  Like Strega said, we can't just tell the police oh I am an atheist and therefore I can do what I please because rules are only for the God fearing.  Also I work towards goals all the time, do you mean we should not try to better ourselves because only religious people should be better people.  I'm not trying to be rude I just don't get it.  Why should we not be repetitive, I think clearly stating what one means is important and sometimes in order to make, or clarify a point one must repeat an a fore mentioned statement. I am also dependent,  I am dependent on others kindness or my own work to survive.  I am often in agreement with others on many matters political,and ethical and so on.  I mean not to repeat myself but could you please clarify what you mean by what you posted.  I am genuinely confused.

Hi Sarah

My post wasn't intended to be prescriptive. I put "discuss" at the bottom which is a common open exam question structure in the UK.  What I meant was that I stated a proposition and would like to know what others think.  I'm new to the site and had seen some things that I thought were rather odd as I have personal views on atheism...and I'm fairly anti-theist...though clearly not on a personal level and I don't think I have any need to display bumper stickers or get atheist tattoos, or worship at some church of atheism...that's all rather weird to me. It's like replacing religion with non-religion....still retaining dogma, albeit non-religious dogma, etc.  Goals..sure...we hopefully all work towards goals but I meant not in context as an atheist.  My goals are independent of my atheism.  My atheism is simply a lack of belief.  I don't think that there is a purpose of atheism to be nice or supportive of other people, surely I should do this whether atheistically or not. I guess if people need to belong to an atheist group, then maybe I'm atheist but also aatheist.  Saying that I am on here to see other people's views, comprehend (and hopefully remember) good argument positions and responses.

Oh ok yes I see now what you mean...I was at the gas station and I saw this truck which looked to me to be that of a huge red neck hillbilly type.  He literally had at least 25 bumper stickers covering his beat up old truck and each one was about Jesus or something, "Jesus Saves"  "I walk with the Lord"  Give glory To God" etc etc I wanted to take a marker to the one that said, "Jesus Saves" and write at Walmart in behind it. 

Church of atheism is for sure an oxymoron.  Have you really heard of that?

I now understand what you meant I agree with you for sure.  Some atheists are just as much fundamentalist about their non-belief as theists are about theirs.  I am not a person who pickets in the streets for pro choice, or pickets schools about separation of church and state (American) or hangs signs in my window that say Good doesn't mean God or anything either, but if I see a funny pic like that I will post it on Facebook. 

I don't ridicule the religious just as I do not want to be ridiculed by them.  I obviously also belong to this group but the reason for that is not to postulate really, but more just to have a voice and speak what I think without hatred, or ignorance being foisted upon me by those who would disagree.  

Some atheists are just as much fundamentalist about their non-belief as theists are about theirs. 

How so, Sarah? The world is choked with religious fundamentalists who will brook no argument and proudly insist they will never change their minds no matter what anyone ever says.

But where have you encountered obstinate atheists who rigidly cling to dogma and refuse to reexamine their convictions? I've never heard of any such atheists, let alone encountered them personally.  

I have read many stories of Atheists who hold picket signs about separation of church and state and taking "In God we trust" off the money and so on and who are very vigilant and unbending,  and who also feel it necessary to go into religious chat rooms and speak very rudely to the religious criticizing constantly....I'm not saying the majority by any means but there are atheists like that especially those atheists who believe strongly what an atheist should and should not be. 

RSS

Events

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service