* nor should they preach

Discuss

Tags: purpose, reason

Views: 777

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Atheism is:

smartass-ery

@Kris .. Should it be though?  Should athesists be erecting walls of intellectualism or arguing the points on equal terms?

I wish I could study the Bible, apologetics, philosophy, etc. and become better able to argue point by point with Christians, but I don't want to.  ; )

Can I recommend the "Harry Potter" or "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" series of books...much more entertaining and as true to life.

Me too, I have to agree.

I don't want to either. I also agree.

I just like laughing at their beliefs. It's so funny to me. Their reactions.

It doesn't particularly matter to me. I don't feel that we are responsible to one another in our capacity as atheists. As fellow human beings? Sure, but not as atheists.

I was just being a smart-ass, Kris.  I bastardized one of my favorite lines from a tv show... when Phoebe on Friends says, "Oh I wish I could, but I don't want to."  

Ah - and I just thought you were having difficulty expressing what you meant! thought maybe you were a Phoebe...sorry.

Ironically, I AM a Phoebe!  Sad, but true.  Yesterday at work I was heard to say, "Hey!  I found my missing sausage!"

Telling someone what they "aren't" is no less dictatorial then telling them what they "are".  Trying to tell atheists how they should or shouldn't act is about as futile as herding cats.

@Doug Reardon - absolutely.  My post was contentious to summon response.  Another poster uploaded an image reading "Atheism is a conclusion, not a belief"...100% accurate in my opinion.  My point about dogma and the situation with young woman I responded to Strega about is that there is no centralisation of atheism.  As that is often what appears (to me) to be wrong with religions...certainly organised ones, is that something that atheists should strive for?  I also saw a post of a nice "A" symbol that looked a bit like the jersey communicator design from Star Trek and people were having tattooed and wondered why ... note that I don't oppose them doing it but it seems to oppose my understanding of atheism.  Why replace any number of religious dogma with a non-religious dogma...atheism does then become simply one of a number of belief systems, albeit based on a lack of belief.

I think it can be said that atheism is not intrinsically anything apart from disbelief in deities. In practice it can be a great many different things to different people.

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 13 minutes ago. 62 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 25 Replies

An awakening.....radical acceptance.....

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 5 hours ago. 2 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service