So I just saw this post on one of my FB friend's wall. I don't want to respond to it but WTF?! I never heard this before and I don't really know what to make of it:

"The book of Genesis is just as far-fetched as Scientology and Mormonism. But not even half as far-fetched as someone who doesn't believe in a higher power.
Atheism isn't a choice, its a disease that can be cured with scripture. So go out and tell all your atheist friends something they don't want to hear... This may be the time they actually cave in and drop their beliefs for yours."

This guy and I went to a Catholic high school together and I really can't wrap my head around this statement. Ok, he's admitting Genesis is a load of crap, good. Of course, that's kinda the Catholic Church's stance on Genesis...sooo not as good as it good be, especially considering the rest of the status. A disease? I don't think I have ever before heard that attack and ya. What do you make of this status? How would you respond if someone said this to you (better to be prepared than not)?

Can we please call this evangelizing "militant" like all the Christians/Catholics do to us?

Tags: Catholic, Genesis, Militant

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent!

So which episode was this?

"Star Trek: The Next Generation: Who Watches the Watchers. Episode 3 Season 4, 1989. So it's about 24 light years old.

Captain it's the engines here - Scotty can't take anymore!!!

Goodness, you're right!  I was an atheist, but hearing your extracts from the bible, a veil has been lifted from my eyes!" said nobody. Ever

That's when I say...

"So you don't believe in Genesis, Scientology  or Mormonism- good for you.  But yet you'll believe in a magic sky daddy? How exactly do you justify that?... Also, If I may say, what I find interesting about your 'cure" for atheism is that its the very thing which causes people to be an atheist. So, it sounds to me like you're recommending some type of homeopathic cure."

LOL

homeopathic religion, at first I laughed and then, I said "Wait a sec., that is exactly what today's christianity is."

A very deluded version of the original form. LOL

That's one way to look at it.. I was thinking more along the lines of how homeopathic remedies suggest you include small amounts of things you're allergic to in order to build an immunity to those things
His friend suggests the cure is the very thing which causes many to be come atheists in the first place--- reading scripture,  

Give me his name on Facebook, I'll gladly respond.

RSS

Forum

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 minute ago. 18 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 13 minutes ago. 27 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 1 hour ago. 130 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 5 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 1 Comment

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service