So I just saw this post on one of my FB friend's wall. I don't want to respond to it but WTF?! I never heard this before and I don't really know what to make of it:

"The book of Genesis is just as far-fetched as Scientology and Mormonism. But not even half as far-fetched as someone who doesn't believe in a higher power.
Atheism isn't a choice, its a disease that can be cured with scripture. So go out and tell all your atheist friends something they don't want to hear... This may be the time they actually cave in and drop their beliefs for yours."

This guy and I went to a Catholic high school together and I really can't wrap my head around this statement. Ok, he's admitting Genesis is a load of crap, good. Of course, that's kinda the Catholic Church's stance on Genesis...sooo not as good as it good be, especially considering the rest of the status. A disease? I don't think I have ever before heard that attack and ya. What do you make of this status? How would you respond if someone said this to you (better to be prepared than not)?

Can we please call this evangelizing "militant" like all the Christians/Catholics do to us?

Tags: Catholic, Genesis, Militant

Views: 696

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Atheism isn't a choice, its a disease that can be cured

Didn't Hitler say something similar about Jewish people? It's a step below militant imo...unless you take the Christian meaning of militant, at least.

If recent developments in Mali are anything to go by, religion does not like to tolerate any other then their own version, no competition allowed. Joking aside, you get the point with this Emo Phillips skid.

LOL...I don't care who you are that thar was some funny stuff. :D

Honestly, I think it's their answer to the claim that religion is a mental disorder, or a virus. I mean, I have to admit... I really don't like when people who are religious are accused of having a mental disorder, or some sort of brain virus. I think it's dishonest and simply snarky. I've known many highly intelligent Christians. I was a Christian, and now I'm not. A mental disorder doesn't just go away when you stop believing something.

Obviously, the idea that atheism is a disease is bullshit. But so is the idea that religion is a mental disorder. We're just flinging poo at this point.

I think people say this because they are so sick and tired of all the negativity they experience. It's a way to rant, and yes it's probably our way of 'flinging poo' but I doubt we all actually believe it's a disease. It's a way to express our dislike and disagreement for their views.

Theists probably say it for the same reason, but someone like this actually believes it's a disease and that's when things get dangerous.

Discounting people, via some mental illness assertion, does seem a little too convenient and self serving. Sadly, under some conditions, these beliefs can appear as part of an OCD, paranoid, or other mental condition. During my first student experience with atheism, as a co-director for an SOS group, we had a few folks on both sides, show serious excesses, but atleast no one was hurt. Passions can get the better of us at times. Commitments to the many versions of 'certainty', can give honesty a tough place to hang.

Our scepticism needs to be also directed at the 'versions of certainty'. Prematurely adding more decimal places, to an as yet rough measurement, does not really help. Theists adding the terms such as 'truth', 'absolute', 'immortal', etc, seem grasping at best. A 'certainty' based upon grasping, sustained by faith, seems a place supported by wet mud.

As atheists, expecting others to agree with us on details that 'seem' obvious to us, may have forgotten how long it took some of us to get it. Others that do not get 'it', are they mentally ill, deeply more enlightened than us, excessively content, or not yet exposed to that last datum that might rationally kill their commitment?   

A few years ago, I viewed a Nazi film titled, 'Der Erwige Jedea'. It was rather obvious how the Nazi assertions concerning the values of the jews, their religion, ritual animal killing, etc could be used to paint the Jewish character as undesirable. As an example of inhumanity, we should consider this an ugly training film for racism and guestions of ethics. I often forget ...  

"We're just flinging poo at this point." Nice touch!

Belief in the "God" of the Bible is a delusion. You must have faith to believe in supernatural things you are taught exist but do not have a shred of evidence for. I believe that as people we are very good at deluding ourselves. It is very easy for us to be caught up in a mass delusion such as a "Salvation" religion, especially when that deity's rewards and punishments are so eternal.

My personal take on this:

"The book of Genesis is just as far-fetched as Scientology and Mormonism. But not even half as far-fetched as someone who doesn't believe in a higher power.”

I understand that there is something greater than myself; it’s called the universe.  I also understand that my actions within it will effect others, so I try to make those actions positive.  If by ‘a higher power’ you mean some type of god, then I’d say that is as far fetched as belief in centaurs, pixies, and flying fire serpents.

“Atheism isn't a choice, its a disease that can be cured with scripture.”

Atheism is neither; it is the default position of being unconvinced by poorly crafted, pseudo-intellectual bullshit that is used to justify magical thought, and superstitious nonsense.

“So go out and tell all your atheist friends something they don't want to hear... This may be the time they actually cave in and drop their beliefs for yours."

Or, exercise some good judgment, and pay heed to the old saying, “It’s better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you’re an idiot, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you’re an idiot, than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Sadly, this does not become active in reference to theists, till they are within a large group of atheists. Theism, is the local crazyness of choice it seems...

I don’t know how much I’d agree.  I think the fundamentalists and proselytizers are an embarrassment to most believers.  Every time I’ve been in a conversation/debate with an evangelical, there have been cultural Christians looking on, and nearly all of them seem to enjoy watching the evangelical get skewered.

It’s the cultural theists that make those discussions worth the effort.  Those people have already decided that the dictates of their church are ridiculous.  The wheels are already in motion, and it just takes some gentle nudging to get them rolling down the path that so many of us have already traveled.

I wish you could spread it by coughing. Even if it was an STD. But no, It takes intellectualism and courage. In fact in many parts of the world it has become eradicated.

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 4 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 4 hours ago. 5 Replies

I don't know what to say

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ward Cressin 9 hours ago. 2 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service