This is not intended as a strict dichotomy -- grey area is just fine --, but do you view atheism or aspects of atheism as being defined individually or defined as a group? This is about personal perception or ideals, and not describing how you think others perceive atheism.

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Atheism is practically an anti-identity. Maybe the "ism" is what throws people off, because an ism is more of an explicit identity.

I guess it's hard to mitigate some of the non-sequitors in language. E.g., I hate hate; I won't tolerate intolerance. I believe in non-belief, and I have faith in the scientific method (but because I know it will find facts/evidence before forming reasonable conclusions). And atheism is an a-ism-ism.

So I identify with people here who want to help others think skeptically and rationally, but not with those who (seem to me) are stubbornly stuck in some kind of adolescent, cynical or angst stage.

I guess what I try to be depends on where I am. In here, I want to be an individual but still promote the cause. Out there, in the theist world, I want to be an atheist. I guess that's my idea of integrity, although sometimes I'll sink to the level of obscurity if I don't understand or can't communicate something adequately.

RSS

Events

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service