As a mother and Atheist ( for over 20 years) I've found the hardest aspect of being an Atheist and a parent - is finding community. Not just for myself - but for my children. Community and socialization are crucial in a child's development. I feel this in one of the most significant reasons there is less women in Atheism -  because there is less family in Atheism. In meet-ups, they are predominately male - and usually at libraries. 

They discuss philosophy and science ... Not child friendly. 
As you read statuses and updates by fellow Atheists- you'll notice us wives and our children omitted. Very rare - is the admission of wives, children, our family life. Women are the backbone of church -  they are what keeps 'faith' alive...But not faith in God, instead faith in family and community. If we want reason to grow - then we have to find a way to include the atheist family - to offer support and community for our growing families. To organize social groups that are centered on family life and provide that crucial social development and bonds through friendship and community that are for now , found mainly in church. We have to supply an alternative...This is what keeps many people I know from outting- fear of losing community and the bonds they've built. 

Views: 417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Angela: I closely relate to what you mention on your message.

My wife is christian and now enrolled into a Scout group in Mexico. she is now engaged on her activities, including going to church on Sunday.

Whenever I think on the cultural war that should be going in my kids mind, I have to highly ponder the sense of community they get when going to meet their friends at the Scout group or when meeting the same friends at church.

I am now enrolling on activities with the local museum, but they don't have weekly get togethers. Right now is the only think that came to my mind.

What are you doing?

On Facebook look for my "community" page called HOPE (Humans On Planet Earth), It's new.  A link I posted will take you to The Reason Project forums and a discussion I started on this very issue which has haunted me since I was in my twenties.  I'm trying to start a SW Alabama Secularists Meetup group and will take your message seriously for sure.  More family picnics, etc., and less intellectual discussions.  Times are ripe for my idea to bloom.  Need financing for a prototype.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Angela was making any sweeping generalizations when she voiced her concern that it was difficult for her to find a group of atheists that were as cohesive and family friendly as a Christian or other religious groups can be.

She did not say there were not any such athesit groups. She said they were difficult to come by, if even you do happen to live close enough to one, compared to finding a local organized religious affiliated group. As far as starting up her own group, she seems to have communicated plainly, that she has, in fact, tried very hard to solve this problem. Again, I don't understand the hostility that was directed toward her in this thread.

I read the thread several times and I have to agree with Angela. Atheists are a hated breed in the US and don't have the equal social footing that religious groups have. Hopefully, in the future, this will change and it will be more like it is in other countries, where it is not such an issue.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service