Religion book:

In most countries with an Islamic majority,the following things are forbidden and punishable by the law of the state:

Adultery

Consumption of alcohol

Astrology

Gambling

Use of unprescribed drugs

Prostitution

Dancing between men and women

I understand why everything listed is forbidden and punishable except for astrology and dancing between men and women.Can anybody explain to me why and please share your views.

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Islam hates fun.
Hi there, the reasons from my understanding of Islam are:
Astrology is banned because it involves predicting the future. Simply know person can know someone else's future. Only God should have those answers.
Depending on where you live dancing is either banned or frowned upon because of unmarried couples taking part in a close physical action. Islam is generally very conservative in it's rules about social customs between unmarried couples/people.
According to some dancing is also banned because of the music that can be involved, and also because some have use a type of dancing to get into a trance like state, which is also forbidden.
Hope this info helps- Chow!
Hi there, the reasons from my understanding of Islam are:
Astrology is banned because it involves predicting the future. Simply know person can know someone else's future. Only God should have those answers.
Depending on where you live dancing is either banned or frowned upon because of unmarried couples taking part in a close physical action. Islam is generally very conservative in it's rules about social customs between unmarried couples/people.
According to some dancing is also banned because of the music that can be involved, and also because some have use a type of dancing to get into a trance like state, which is also forbidden.
Hope this info helps- Chow!
I think Mario has it right..Allah is not a fun loving dude ;-)

Basically, it not just dancing that is forbidden between men and women. It is any kind of interaction between unrelated men and women that is forbidden. Obviously there is no logical explanation but the reason given and used to forbid interaction between men and women is that it deviates them from their religious duties. And also such social interaction is going to lead to illicit affairs primarily because women will tempt men which will lead to the collapse of the whole society.

As fas as astrology is considered, it is counted as sorcery. There are sayings of prophet Mo which prohibits fortune telling. The concept is that because everything is preordained and if they resort to fortune telling it is equivalent to 'shirk', i.e. holding some one else equal to god. The penalty for this varies from one Islamic country to the other, however in countries like Saudi Arabia it is punishable by death where last month one person was sentenced to death for this.

I hope this helps a bit.
I've been noticing a lot of double posts and weird format issues.
Ning has reported some problems that they are working on.

Mario Rodgers said:
I've been noticing a lot of double posts and weird format issues.

RSS

Blog Posts

The Void of Silence

Posted by Carol Foley on July 31, 2014 at 11:02pm 0 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service