"Creationists believe the straightforward interpretation of Scripture—the earth and all living things were supernaturally created in six solar days by the God of the Bible about 6,000 years ago."

I am writing a paper refuting religious claims in a philisophical manner (using science, history, archeology, and anthropology to back my claims). I was looking at a Creation Science website and saw the above quote on this page: http://www.creationsciencetoday.com/01-Creation%20_vs_Evolution.html

After browsing this site, I realized that these people are stunningly wrong, and are making up scientific evidence!
What do you guys think?

Tags: Anthropology, Atheism, Creation, Debate, Design, Evolution, Intelligent, Religion, Science

Views: 866

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That must mean that the Opossum being dropped off in North America was a mistake.  Afterall, it's a marsupial and marsupials belong in Australia.  Maybe it was playing dead and Noah thought, "Well, no sense in keeping these things around..."

At first, he said, "Hell, I'll just drop 'em both off at the same pole, who'll know?" but the bears started eating the penguins, so he quickly realized that wasn't going to work.

Hmm

that has to have been really tricky because there were only two penguins, and if one got eaten... it must have been the male, and the female was pregnant. 

Yeah it's pretty incredible how much of a problem solver Noah wasn't.

Or, the Priestly Source version was the correct one (Gen 7:2-3), and the penguins, being "unclean," despite bathing daily, were loaded on in sevens.

I'd forgotten about that bit about some animals going on the ark in sevens, and certainly could not have remembered which ones.  (How does one determine that a species that was in fact unknown to the Hebrews would have been unclean, BTW?)

If I wanted to play with this story as many would do with Tolkien (which has the virtue of being far more entertaining--it's amazing how hum drum the Hebrew mythos is compared to many others), I'd wonder what the sex ratio was in those groups of seven.  Clearly for animals that tend to have an alpha male and a harem of women (like deer, walruses or gorillas, but I don't know if they are unclean or not), you'd want a 1:6 ratio for rapid regeneration of the species, but penguins pair 1:1 and both are vital for reproduction even after fertilization.  So you'll likely end with a 3:4 or 4:3 ratio and one of the seven is a spare, I guess, or has to wait for one of the offspring to become mature, it's be a "May/December" mating (though in the southern hemisphere perhaps that's best put "November/June").

RE: "(How does one determine that a species that was in fact unknown to the Hebrews would have been unclean, BTW?)" - you wait for god to tell you, silly!

RE: "(How does one determine that a species that was in fact unknown to the Hebrews would have been unclean, BTW?)" - you wait for god to tell you, silly!

Well SHIT.  I guess I'll never know.

Good thing I don't actually care, then isn't it?

No no no. Not if he could drop  them off at Gondwanaland. You see, the breaking up of Gondwanaland and the migration of the continents to their current positions happened after Noah, probably about 4500 years ago. ;)

In college I knew someone who had a T-shirt reading "Re-unite Gondwanaland."

I told him once that that had to be the most hopeless cause ever put on a T-shirt and he put on a flawless foaming-at-the-mouth fanatic face and said "NO IT ISN'T!!!!!"

I think you should also keep in mind that many cultures have similar depictions and myths about dragons or great serpents.  We can easily say that fire-breathing, mythological dragons weren't real due to a lack of evidence for them.

For whatever reason, all those cultures have similar myths even if they've never had contact with each other.  That could be the same thing here: many cultures having some myths with common features.  It doesn't imply a connection.  They could be related to events that they all experience (being around bodies of water) or simply be related to the cultural importance of the myth (the body of water, etc.).

It's pretty simple and that last part is, I would say, correct. Any culture that lives in a flood plain will experience terrible floods that threaten to sweep away (or actually sweep away) their people. Considering that almost all of humanity is settled along waterways, a consistent source of freshwater being necessary to the growth of a population, it should really come as no surprise that there is a shared history of myths about surviving floods.

I don't know that there's a scientific connection. I think it's more that there is a common sense connection.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 3 minutes ago. 145 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.