"Creationists believe the straightforward interpretation of Scripture—the earth and all living things were supernaturally created in six solar days by the God of the Bible about 6,000 years ago."

I am writing a paper refuting religious claims in a philisophical manner (using science, history, archeology, and anthropology to back my claims). I was looking at a Creation Science website and saw the above quote on this page: http://www.creationsciencetoday.com/01-Creation%20_vs_Evolution.html

After browsing this site, I realized that these people are stunningly wrong, and are making up scientific evidence!
What do you guys think?

Tags: Anthropology, Atheism, Creation, Debate, Design, Evolution, Intelligent, Religion, Science

Views: 898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good grief maybe he's an undercover agent of the Centauri Republic.

Around 2900 BCE there was a flood of the Euphrates (surprising the Epic of Giglamesh and Noah's Ark and all the other flood myths happened near the Euphrates) there was a 6 day storm that caused the river to flood more than it already does (the river floods every spring) and killed a lot of people (http://www.flood-myth.com/) There was a local Sumerian king named Ziusudra who commandeered a local barge and rode the flood down into the Persian Gulf and landed on a hill top. He was so thankful to be on solid ground that he gave thanks to his God. 

There you go. That's the true story all the myths are based on.  

Good to know, James - see my comment below --

Yes, Barry, there are explanations for that and Strega's link points to some of those, but bear in mind that nearly every land on the planet has had a flood at some point in time - the fact that numerous cultures have flood stories, doesn't at all mean that they happened at the same time, as fundamentalsts would have you believe.

As for the Epic of Gilgamesh, it was written about 2600 BCE, and was a fictional account of an actual flood that occurred in 2900 BCE, during the Jemdet Nasr period, when the Euphrates River overflowed it's banks, about 125 miles Southeast of Present-day Baghdad. It flooded an area equivalent to about three US counties, to a depth of - wait for it - 15 cubits (22.5 feet), which the Hebrews would later run with, and maintain that the tops of the highest mountains were covered to a depth of - you guessed it, 15 cubits!

The king of Shurrapak, Ziusudra, escaped the flood on a trading barge loaded with cattle, cotton and beer, and thus the Noah's Ark story was born.

Approximate Area of Ziusudra's Flood - 2900 BCE

I didn't see the information regarding cultures like the Native American tribes.  However, it doesn't matter.  The simple connection between civilization settling near bodies of water or on flood plains seems to be the best answer, so that puts it to rest.  I personally never thought the Noah story was literally true, but I did find it fascinating that many cultures unrelated to each other had catastrophic flood myths and as the story goes: behind every myth lies some element of truth.  Whatever that truth is, we have to figure out and that can be difficult considering how far removed the modern world is from the ancient.

As for Cameron's comment:  Of course dragons are real!  We just call them dinosaurs!! :)  Actually, I would love to find out the truth behind creation of mythological creatures such as dragons, the phoenix and others.  I am already aware that in epic tales, such as the Iliad and the Odyssey, mythological creatures were created to explain sources of naturally occurring phenomena and disasters.  I am sure dragons (especially fire breathing ones) might have something to do with volcanoes considering how a number of myths talk about sleeping dragons in mountains who suddenly wake up and go on a fire spitting rampage.  At least I see a connection there.

RE: "I didn't see the information regarding cultures like the Native American tribes." - You'll find a list of those at the link I just provided.

Thanks.

I think it very likely that ancient people found dinosaur skeletons and tried to figure out what they were. Given their size and the jaws full of teeth they imagined something sort of like the dinosaurs but gave them the names we now attribute to mythical creatures: dragon, manticore, hydra, etc. Too many heads but only finding one body = hydra. A few skeletons together = manticore or chimera. a pterosaur and T-rex together = dragon.

After all, they were ignorant by our standards, not stupid. Finding a skeleton means its kind lives – how were they to derive the idea of extinction? Then add in con men who use all sorts of things to mess with other people – that just helps the creature live (in people's minds).

That sounds like a very reasonable explanation, Ward.

Interestingly, Barry, archaeologists have unearthed Egyptian kings all the way back to 3500 BCE, or 5500 years, and have found no layers of flood silt anywhere in the country, which kinda throws the idea of a universal flood into a cocked hat.

Well, that's cool, and you can see how it fits nicely to my answer above.  That's one more question marked off my list.

Well... other than the regularly scheduled annual flood, but in Egypt that flood was a good thing as it brought in new topsoil, at the expense of what we today call East Africa.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service