"Aspie" is the too cute name that sufferers of Asperger's Syndrome have given themselves - we're Aspies! There's spittle on my screen now from the raspberry I just blew ... I hate cute! - well, puppies and kittens can be cute - but not overweight, balding, middle aged men who chain smoke and drink coffee all day - and night ... I don't know how to make friends. I've never learned; I can't learn - I can't read body language, despite the best efforts of my various keepers ... I'm always shocked to find that people do like me - why they do, I don't know. I don't much like myself ... My sister says that people like me because I'm non-judgmental - well, what else can a chronically mentally ill, queer heretic be but nonjudgmental? It's not like I've got room to talk! That and whatever one tells me never, ever goes further (unless I am asked to pass the word on) ... And I don't envy anyone anything. Why? Long ago, I realized that everyone - no matter who - is living in his/her own private hell that's far worse looking on the inside than on the outside. The Greeks were right: if we were given the chance to trade our problems for somebody else's, we'd all keep our own! It may be a bed of nails, but it's my bed of nails - my bed of nails in my very own dungeon that I don't have to share w/anyone ... I'm a pessimist, a cynic, and a skeptic - devout! And for those very reasons you'll get a much better deal from me than from Pangloss

And there - that's how somebody w/Asperger's Syndrome says hello ... "Hello!" 

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for the welcome.

I think that I mentioned somewhere that I'm also dyslexic ... I avoid writing by hand. Oh, I can read my own handwriting, but no one else can read it. Being left-handed is no help!

Yes, they're thinking of taking Asperger's out of the DSM - at least that's what one of my counselors has said. The feeling is that "high-functioning autism" covers Asperger's Syndrome and that there is no need for a separate category. Other people, my counselor included, want Asperger's to head a new category - differently-abled, as opposed to disabled. What a load that is! You live w/this shit and see if you feel differently-abled! The counselor's name is Christina, and she is even more liberal than I am (which isn't easy) - which means that she believes in a world that does not exist, a world where the tyranny of norms can be ignored - that being able to fit in is not so essential to success. Well, for one who fits in nicely, it's a nice enough "theory"! ... People make noise about how oddballs often find fame and fortune - but it's only the oddballs who have a brand of oddity that people are willing to buy who find fame and fortune! The rest of us count ourselves lucky to qualify for SSI ... I can't interest myself in anything to which I cannot apply Set Theory - a job has to have features that can be defined in terms of sets and classes and, then, I have to be able to devise functions that can be applied to the sets and classes ... Let's not get going w/that just yet! Point is, I find it almost impossible to do anything w/o making a vast deal out of it, submitting the whole to my contorted thinking process, grinding it down to the finest dust - and then I'm bored w/it, and it becomes torture ... To give me a deadline is - a waste of your time! And I can't show deference. I treat everyone the same. And I don't pay attention to the news - or what's going on around me - In short, I'm unemployable! And I can't control any of that - I'm just beginning to be able to cut myself off. I'd go on for days otherwise. So, I'll shut up - except to say, thank you for the welcome ... I have a cousin who's autistic, much worse than me, the sort who sits in corners, oblivious. 

RSS

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 16 minutes ago. 49 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 3 hours ago. 26 Replies

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Ward Cressin 10 hours ago. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 2 Comments

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service