Hey, I was just wondering if there were anyone else here who is also
currently reading the Christian Holy Bible, weither it is for the first
time or if you are just re-reading it. I was raised as a christian and I
am reading because there is a lot that I have forgotten and I think
that in order to understand your own beliefs, you must also understand
the beliefs of others.

The bible that I am reading is a King James version, published by Holman Bible Publishers. My parents got it
for me when I first told them that I am an Atheist.

Tags: bible, currently, reading

Views: 34

Replies to This Discussion

In 2000 I read the entire Bible without the help of clergy or anyone to give me their interpretations. I had a "Parallel Bible," which had King James Version, New Living Translation, New International Version, and the American Standard. I read the whole thing and studied it carefully for approximately eight months. I was appalled with the Old Testament and a lot of red flags went up. I had an open mind for trying to find the "truth." I quickly realized the Bible was mythology and Yahweh as portrayed in the Old Testament was basically a prick.
Yeah, that's why Xians try to get you to read the NT first.

I have read it a few times, but seeing as I am currently working on a book that delves into the realm of biblical criticism I am once again reading the bible (well, the entire NT and some OT) in both the Revised Standard Verson (Oxford Annotated) and Koine Greek.

Jesus is most likely an Imaginary Friend that the Christians project to be a real historic person.

Well, sort of. I have played the devil's advocate for the fact that Jesus may never have existed as a real person and one can make the argument but it is just as far fetched as saying he did. In all likelihood he did exist in some degree, Galilee was a hotbed for religious reformers and revolutionaries at the time, but he was no doubt far from how he is pictured in the Bible.

RSS

Discussion Forum

The Rapture - 1st Thessalonians

Started by Robert Taylor. Last reply by Sawyer Childs Jan 18, 2012. 10 Replies

Bible Discussion!

Started by Jon Heim. Last reply by Darrell Johnson Sep 20, 2011. 3 Replies

are you currently reading the bible?

Started by Jon Heim. Last reply by Kenneth Montville D.D. Jan 11, 2011. 22 Replies

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service