Are those that eat meat and are aware of the arguments for vegetarianism bad people?

So here is a question.  

I am currently eating a steak.  It came from a dead animal - one who most likely didn't have the greatest life, one could say suffered - One could go so far as to say the animal I am eating used to live a life of torture.  

I am perfectly well aware of the arguments for not eating meat.  The arguments against animal abuse.  I have watched the videos of animals being slaughtered because I wanted information to make an informed opinion.  

It wouldn't be a lie for me to admit that I agree with all the arguments from the non meat eater/vegetarian crowd.  I agree with them almost completely.  That the animals do in fact suffer more than they should.  

But honestly - eating this steak makes me feel good.  I enjoy chewing it, tasting it - the red and bloody steak it becomes with butter and pepper.  It's delicious to me.  

I guess it's more that I just don't care about the suffering the animals enough for me to give up my delicious steak.  Or veal chop.  Or rack of lamb.  

What say you, rational minds?  Am I a 'bad person' for admitting that the arguments make sense and yet I choose to simply ignore them for my own one could say - selfish and short-term desires?  

Views: 786

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are those that don't eat meat and are aware of the arguments against vegetarianism assholes?

Yes.

Let this fad die out. Letting animals die without eating them is the true definition of unnecessary suffering. The fuck's a cow gonna do if not get eaten? Write a book? Discover planets?

Heather said it, they're just brainwashed self-righteous theists really.

Are there many arguments against vegetarianism?

Bizarre argument; who ever suggested letting all the cows die without eating them? Nonsense.

How on earth do you come to the conclusion that a vegetarian is a theist?

Are there many arguments against vegetarianism?

No of course not, the truth of Christ... er.. I mean vegetarianism is obvious.

Not very good at this discussion/debate thing, are you !
I can accept that if you don't want to be vegetarian, then don't be; but I'm still not sure how you can be AGAINST it.

The problem with many vegetarians is their insistence on proselytising - so yes I'm against that.  As far as individuals are concerned, it doesn't matter in the slightest unless I'm throwing a dinner party. 

But those vegetarians who are quiet about their moral or dietary concerns are sadly few and far between. I imagine if I started to describe why I like meat, what kinds of meat I prefer, and so on and so forth, I'd be considered quite tedious.  Why does the absence of meat have to be such an all consuming subject matter that seems to have to be shared so frequently?

I had a vegan girl friend. She was very obsessed with food. I wouldn't call it proselytizing exactly, just that it was always her greatest concern, looking for gelatin, or milk powder as ingredients and such. Reminded me of how a recovering alcoholic deals with booze. In fact she was always trying to get tofu to look and taste like meat. I found that so odd because I really don't care for meat or dairy all that much and eat very little of it. Tofu Turkey- Not for me!

Oh yes!  I completely forgot about that meat-simulcrum type thing they have going.  I cannot count the times I have heard the words, "it's just like meat". 

No.  It isn't. 

If I chopped up cardboard and mixed it with Ragu, I could make it look like meat (if you squint a little and blur your vision).  Who cares if it looks like meat?.  Why do you want it to look like meat?

[edited to add: That's it!  I've got it!  I'm going to tell the next vegetarian proselytiser that my steak looks just like tofu]

No.  It isn't. 

I have never even liked the way vegetarians prepare vegetables. 

oh, Strega, you got me good with that one

Yes, I think I can agree with you here. I've been veggie for years, but never understood the idea of trying to get things to 'look like meat'.
The first veggie I ever met used to do this all the time. I remember thinking 'if you don't want to eat meat, then don't, but why would you want to pretend to'.
People used to say the same thing about those that objected to slavery. I'm glad they didn't stay quiet so as not to offend their slave keeping acquaintances.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 2 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service