Are there any religions that allow for the beliefs/truth of other religions?

It seems that every religion (and even atheism) has the idea that "In the end, I am right and you are wrong." However, are the any religions that take into account that other religions may also be right? or at least not evil?

(side note)
When you really think about it, it's interesting to consider the spite most mild-mannered religious folk carry around with them. An individual may get along civilly with others, they have to understand that their Jewish coworker, their Catholic girlfriend, their Mormon buddy, etc. will all burn in hell for eternity. It's kind of weird.

Views: 305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course, one way to answer your question is to say that just about all religions allow that other religions contain truths. They just aren't AS true.

some hindus believe that jesus is an avatar of lord vishnu, but they are probably in the minority.

it may have something to do with the multiple gods that they have.

Islam also considers Moses and Jesus to be prophets, but if you don't accept that Muhammad's teachings supercede the old models you're an Unbeliever.

And an infidel, so eternal damnation awaits you.

Several really big words are the personal pronouns along with "have" and "believe."  Those words are used all the time in casual conversation among atheists, believers, apostates, non-believers. Call them out on the carpet and a bunch of strange beasts start crawling out.

Ending religion will not also put an end to spite.  People will merely use other distinctions, called by other names, to condemn and be condemned.

So, I say your struggle isn't to find a tolerant religion to join;  the way to tolerance  and acceptance of others (if that's what you really want) is personal and to be found within yourself -regardless of the name of the religion/denial/system that you attach to it.  To make it work, it's not that the ideas use you, but that you use the ideas.

I haven't looked at the responses yet, but I can tell you that Unitarian Universalism respects all religions - or a lack of belief. I am an outspoken atheist at my UU congregation, and I taught RE (Religious Education, aka "Sunday School") for years.

In general, UUs believe that you cannot get the answers to your spirituality - the answers that are "right" for you - from some other person, or a book, etc. It has to come from within after reflection, research, discussion, etc. UUs believe you should be allowed to conduct this exploration and discovery in a place of safety and encouragement, and not be beaten down with dogma and told you're wrong, a sinner, etc. It's also understood that this search for answers is a continuous journey, and really has no end - and you will constantly adjust your thoughts and beliefs as you move through life.

All of this means that we have a great deal of respect for others' beliefs, journeys, questions, etc. We love to discuss this stuff (or anything else, for that matter) in a non-confrontational way. We also are very active in the protection of your rights, we fight to keep ourselves and others free from persecution, we fight for the separation of church and state, and so on. For instance, in Atlanta the UU church had the first public library, and it was the first library in the South that afforded the same opportunities to read and check out books to non-whites as well as whites. They had reading classes - free - for those who could not read, no matter their race. My congregation in particular was very involved with the Civil Rights effort, and worked closely with Dr. King and his wife Coretta - we even have a letter from both of them giving thanks for the continuing help and support, and another one from her for our assistance during the time after the assassination.

I am as proud of being a UU as I am of being a humanist, a progressive, and an atheist.

So, hopefully this answers your question. If you have any more, please feel free to contact me.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 3 hours ago. 61 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 5 hours ago. 20 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 28 Replies

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 11 hours ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 11 hours ago. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service