Are there any religions that allow for the beliefs/truth of other religions?

It seems that every religion (and even atheism) has the idea that "In the end, I am right and you are wrong." However, are the any religions that take into account that other religions may also be right? or at least not evil?

(side note)
When you really think about it, it's interesting to consider the spite most mild-mannered religious folk carry around with them. An individual may get along civilly with others, they have to understand that their Jewish coworker, their Catholic girlfriend, their Mormon buddy, etc. will all burn in hell for eternity. It's kind of weird.

Views: 305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to belong to a Religious Science church, which are now known as 'The Centers for Spiritual Living', and they honor all religious beliefs.  They also do not believe in any kind of duality.  There is no Hell, no evil, only good.  Things you think of as bad, are still good, you just don't know how to see it.  I'm not a minister, or a practitioner, so I don't know how to explain it, but that's the boiled down version.  They also believe in the 'Law of Attraction', which is what that movie 'The Secret' was about.  However, they still believe in God, or a 'Universal Intelligence' as they call it, so in the end, as much as I loved the people there, and appreciated it's acceptance of a variety of beliefs and lifestyles, I had to leave, because I just don't believe there is a God of any form.

They all seem to be radically different in their version of "the truth", but relevant to note I think that they are basically born of one another in so much as the Christian faith is a pillage of Judaism, their old testament is simply old Jewish writings, literally, the new testament is a crack at making the prophecies come true to define itself as evidence of god, Islam, well thats just Christianity with a twist, the koran claiming to be the final revelation thus, the last word of god thus, the ultimate truth, its like a postscript from god, by the way, my name is allah. And theres thousands of others bleeding off each other and trying to squeeze itself into modern day rationality. Its all blatantly pathetic really.I think, in our present time, its the biggies we need to worry about, Muslims and Christians, find a way of showing them the errors of their ways and the others will diminish in no time.

Check out the Bahai religion, whose main tenet is that all religions are legitimate ways to approach God. Not sure how friendly they are to  the notion that God is a fantasy altogether, but still, it's better than the other, 'you will burn in hell' religions which dominate human society

I'm a member of the Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic. We openly state, "we don't know and we don't care".  

In my journey away from religion, I found more acceptance among pagans than I ever did with Christians.  

There are so many different belief systems that fall into the category of paganism, and most of them don't really care that what someone else believes may be different from what they believe. (at least in most of the ones that are practiced today)  Some of them belong to the same ones and still hold different beliefs.  The most important thing to them is to 'Harm none' including yourself.  I don't think that I could replace one god with many, essentially that is what happens in some of them, such as Wicca.  I am outspokenly atheist, so I never really found a place to settle into paganism.  I just hold it in a higher regard than some other religions, due to the respect that I've been shown by them.

I do, however, respect that they don't wish to cause anyone harm and that this is one of the things that they deem most important.  Of course some of them would like to cause harm, but there are people who abuse every system.  

There are varying eclectic pagan practices that involve respecting the earth, nature, and energy, more than god(s).  

"Syncretism" may be the tendency you're looking for. This definition from Wikipedia may help: "

Syncretism (English pronunciation: /ˈsɪŋkrətɪzəm/) is the combining of different (often contradictory) beliefs, often while melding practices of various schools of thought. Syncretism may involve the merger and analogising of several originally discrete traditions, especially in the theology and mythology of religion, thus asserting an underlying unity and allowing for an inclusive approach to other faiths.

Several religious groups, notably the Hindus, find truth in all religions, sometimes claiming that all religions are true, a notion which taken literally is nonsense, since there are so many contradictions within religions and many more between religions.

Of course, this doesn't bother people used to magical thinking and paradoxical notions.

Ba'hai does this, in a way...  From wikipedia:

The Bahá'í Faith (play /bəˈh/)[1] is a monotheistic religion founded by Bahá'u'lláh in 19th-century Persia, emphasizing the spiritual unity of all humankind.[2] There are an estimated five to six million Bahá'ís around the world in more than 200 countries and territories.[3][4]

In the Bahá'í Faith, religious history is seen to have unfolded through a series of divine messengers, each of whom established a religion that was suited to the needs of the time and the capacity of the people. These messengers have included Abraham, the Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad and others, and most recently the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh. In Bahá'í belief, each consecutive messenger prophesied of messengers to follow, and Bahá'u'lláh's life and teachings fulfilled the end-time promises of previous scriptures. Humanity is understood to be in a process of collective evolution, and the need of the present time is for the gradual establishment of peace, justice and unity on a global scale.[5]

The Church of Subgenius is the true answer. But don't get worried about being right and better than everyone else - they too are like you. It embraces contradiction by merely declaring contradiction makes as much sense as non-contradiction, perhaps even more. Anything a member says becomes orthodox liturgy deserving sacred respect, if you so desire it to.  By merely declaring that all people are members, whether they know it or not, all people become members. I did this once, then rescinded the declaration. So, at one time you were a member, but didn't really know it. They introduced the idea of the Short Duration Personal Savior- so that you will always have a savior when needed or wanted without having to believe anything except what you believe.  One of their best ideas is Holy Slack. Slack is such a simple yet complex idea! And because it exists, there's no need to explain it to you here now.  Don't think I'm just joking around, although some members believe this is a parody religion,  "A True SubGenius, understands EVERYTHING, INSTANTLY upon exposure to the Word or even just the Face of Dobbs."  I hope this helps. Here's a link about their views on marriage: http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answers/faqs/X0006_SubG_FAQ_8_Can_...

Catholic doctrine states that consist in the truth, and allows for truth in religions. Vatican II was not half bad.

Unity (see http://www.unity.org) churches individually are, for the most part, accepting of all faith traditions or no particular belief tradition at all. They have no dogma or creed, but base their brand of self-exploration/self-mastery on five simple principles. Even those principles are open to one's own interpretation. I took my daughters there growing up. One practices meditation & a loose version of Buddhism, the other is an atheist. They found great friendships there though!

I always get Unity confused with Unification, which is Rev. Sun Yun Moon's cult.

Ooops!

Lots of people do... It's also often confused with Unitarian Universalism which probably should have been my first recommendation (now that I think about it). Though Unity includes those who are without belief (particularly in a personal God) they do base their message on the teachings of Jesus. Unitarianism is a much better answer to the question.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Lee 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Gary Clouse 2 hours ago. 69 Replies

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Unseen yesterday. 11 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service