Are there any atheists that are against equal rights for LGBT? If so what are your reasons? I'd be fascinated to find out.

Tags: atheist, equal, gay, gays, homophobe, homophobia, homophobic, rights

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is all about Darwin my friend. I am simply stating the principles of evolution by natural selection. I agree having huge families is ridiculous; but you must have at least 1-2 kids so you procreate and pass down your genes so some "part" of you survives.
Why must I have children and why would not make me 'weak'? You asked a question about marriage and I haven't seen the word love used once. I am very disappointed to hear these views.

I'm not a big fan of marriage, I don't think it is as essential as lot of people see it, but the idea that children are an essential part of life is silly. Don't quote 'Darwinism' as a good reason for all couple to have children. What about over-population? Other animals die out from over-population, they also eat their weaker young to ensure the best genes. I don't think that is good idea for us.

Darwinism is just a description of how life works, unguided, the idea that we need to stick to these 'rules' to be better is absurd. The human race has excelled because of break away from Darwinism, there are 7 billion of us because the weak and sick don't die out.
Yes indeed, I liken it to apes behaving like rabbits!

Over population is horseshit. Go look at the science.

Every single family on earth could live with their own individual farms in an area smaller than Australia.

Not exactly. The idea that the entire world is currently over-populated is very exaggerated. However, the exponential increase in population cannot be kept up indefinitely and the idea that we all *need* to procreate is bullshit. I don't think that contradicts anything I said previously.

As natural selection no longer applies to the human race, it would have to be imposed artificially. That would be eugenics.

Actually if you look at the math most of the developing world is failing to reproduce at a rate that does much more then maintain population.

I haven't seen that anywhere. The overall growth rate appears to be moving down from just over 2% to nearer 1%. This is very significant growth, even when it slows down. The fact that population increase is slowing is a good thing and if everyone had 1-2 children, that population increase would be an issue.

None of this should be related to marriage rights.

...Actually if you look at the math...

Some northern Westerners choice to reduce our reproduction and to stabilise population is compensated by our governments' obsession with immigration policies to procure cheap labour to multinationals, thereby encouraging reproduction in third world countries. We cannot just look at each set of political borders alone, multinationals and governments operate internationally.

Wars and starvation do wonders for population decreases, don't they? The Vatican's attempt to stop this infertility is offset by the Protestant practice of killing child witches.
Stephen, information that you might be looking for. We are out of replies to Andrew directly on growth rates. Essentially population is predicted to grow to just over 9 billion then it will retract. Link to graph of 100 year range, and link to harder numbers.
Oh, and I understand that overpopulation does not happen in the wild, but has been caused by human intervention in other animals and caused a lot of damage.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Favorite movie or actor/actress.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Larry Joseph 53 minutes ago. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.