Are there any atheists that are against equal rights for LGBT? If so what are your reasons? I'd be fascinated to find out.

Tags: atheist, equal, gay, gays, homophobe, homophobia, homophobic, rights

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i view marriage as a consensual relationship between an adult man and woman that's being sealed with a binding contract.
Yeah, I always thought that homophobia was reserved for the religious folks... You know, the ones with the large, sloping, neanderthal foreheads.
I used to be for marriage being strictly between a male and female as male and females can only procreate; but I have evolved and have come to accept the positives outweigh the negatives in the fact that gays being able to marry may entice them to be in more committed and loyal relationships in reducing diseases and making them more emotionally happy. Even then, I was for civil unions but now I have changed my personal views on it for these reasons but I can understand an atheist such as pumpin holding that view.
You called woman females again... lol...ut-oh, your on your own this time...

He apologized and did it again...it's funny... 

I am a female. No issues. It is simply a biological statement.
That's what I thought... but....apparently it's his grammar...

And he called men, males.  So?  Male and Female are just more formal and species neutral.

"The female monkey does most of the child care while the male monkey spends more time fighting".  BUT "The woman monkey does most of the child care while the man monkey spends more time fighting."  doesn't sound right, does it? 

if they're going to have civil unions(which i think you can do in most places) i think you might as well let people marry, but i'm not for it, and i do think it's a bit hypocritical.  like i think for the reasons people give for supporting gay marriage, the same people should support polygamy.  if you don't support both equally, you're a hypocrite.  consensual adults, blah blah blah.
What reason would you be against it as an atheist? I cited why I used to be against it (due to the fact that it would deem marriage worthless in the long run and due to adoption issues) but I have changed my views accordingly (I still think that heterosexuals should be preferred over homosexuals in adoption priority lists if both families are equally stable). But what reasons would you be against civil unions especially?? If two people have been together and are committed to each other shouldn't they receive at least the same property rights, inheritance rights, hospital visitation rights, tax rights, etc etc...?

so then what?  who cannot marry?  i don't think anyone under 18 should be married either, i have a definition of what a marriage is to me, i don't support anything that doesn't fit that.  that is all.  i don't have an issue with gay people, i don't care who or what you fuck as long as it's an adult who wants you to do it with them.  instead of everyone getting married how about we just get rid of marriage?

But being gay is not a choice for the vast majority of cases. It is something people are biologically predisposed with. And especially with civil unions, why shouldn't they at least have equal rights under the law?

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service