Are there any atheists that are against equal rights for LGBT? If so what are your reasons? I'd be fascinated to find out.

Tags: atheist, equal, gay, gays, homophobe, homophobia, homophobic, rights

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But being gay is not a choice for the vast majority of cases. It is something people are biologically predisposed with. And especially with civil unions, why shouldn't they at least have equal rights under the law?

i don't think you can choose what you're attracted to, but i don't think that marriage should shift to fill every persons desires.  not to trot out this old comparison, but i don't think pedos can choose what they're attracted to either, or that people that are into specific kinks and the many many sexual turn ons out that can really help it.  to me they're totally separate from the topic of marriage though.

But gays and pedophiles are in separate categories unrelated to each other. In addition, pedophiles can generally change through medication and cognitive-behavioral therapy (if they are committed). Homosexuals brains are differentiated to the opposite sex as demonstrated through fMRI's and PET scans.

No cure for pedophilia has been developed. There are, however, certain therapies that can reduce the incidence of a person committing child sexual abuse

Reduce the incidence... That doesn't sound reassuring.. and it doesn't sound like it would help long term...

I've read different studies. Depending on the level of commitment and proper medication and behavioral therapy, recidivism can be drastically reduced since it is mostly a conditioning process.

Drastically reduce... hum....So they only have a few relapses?

Would you trust one of them with your daughter?

No I wouldn't. And when I said "drastically reduce" I meant cut the chances that a particular individual would repeat the act. All I am trying to express that being a pedophile is a mental illness but being gay is not. "Straight" camps don't work.

The pedophile argument can largely be ignored for this one reason. There is demonstrable harm that occurs to one party of that relationship, the children - there is psychological damage, physical damage, emotional damage that will (more often then not) result in extensive amounts of therapy for the children harmed.

Whereas in the gay situation, you have two consenting adults content with their sexuality, that are not harming anyone else in any way shape or form.

There is not a single argument I've ever heard that uses reason, and evidence that would undermine the rights of gays to be married -with exception to the people that would object to marriage in general.

Stated much better than myself. :)
i'm not using it as an example in that way, just in a way that someone cannot control what they're into.  i know it's a drastic comparison that's what i tried to convey ahead of time.  everyone makes this argument each time, but this has nothing to do with the point i was making.
You need to find a different example.  That's a loaded discussion point and therefore its confusing to a lot of people who are used to the more insulting context.  It doesn't get your point across.

bravo Erik well said

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 4 minutes ago. 81 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service