For more than a decade, I've been keenly aware of pressures on 'the middle class'.  For almost a decade, I've been amazed at how much wealth is flowing upward.  The occupy movement has shown that the youth are the most perceptive of these issues.

For years now, I've resigned myself to the idea that no matter how great the injustice, society will just adjust and accept it as long as it's introduced slowly enough - incrementally.  Tonight, for the first time in years, I got the idea that maybe the world really is waking up.

Oddly my 'epiphany' came from watching the second of two comedy movies in as many days.  Last night I watched 'The Other Guys' - a comedy that actually made some rather piercing statements about Wall Street and the SEC; going so far as to run some 'Occupy'-type stats in the credits.  Tonight I watched 'The Campaign' - a comedy that showed how the 'Motch' brothers might buy a single congressional candidate to do their bidding.

The appearance of these themes in mainstream film makes me wonder if there are actually people in Hollywood taking concern over what's been happening in the world economy.  Could these silly movies actually be a signal that more people are waking up?  Are they just using their themes to market their movies - or are they actually trying to spread a message to a politically apathetic audience?

Views: 321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually oil is the most affordable in terms of energy spent for energy returned, but as the available supply diminishes  that will change.

I agree with you completely about conserving, especially the liquid oil (it's the easiest to convert into other things like plastic, you could use coal to make plastic but the cost is much higher).

Solar, wind, tides, etc. all require liquid petroleum to make the plastics, lubricants, etc. to get them up and running, and keep them running.

BUT

The global "WE" won't do what we need to do now to benefit the future "WE"...so...smoke em if ya got em...nothing lasts forever. :(

No!

"Are the tides changing?" It's hard to say, the tide come in, the tide goes out - you can't explain that --

But seriously, does it matter if they just using their themes to market their movies? You don't use, "new and improved" to market a product unless you're convinced consumers have an interest in new and improved products, ergo (I've always wanted to say that!), even if it is a marketing ploy, it demonstrates not only an awareness, but an broader, general interest, and you must admit, it gets the message out, which is more important than their motivation.

The answer to all of our problems is obvious.

Soylent Green!

Ergo DUH!

Check.

Mate.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service