I was on the New Yorker website when I came across this article:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/11/republ...

and I honestly can't tell whether Reince Preibus is being snarky or serious in the comments he made.  The first quote sounds like he could just be expressing disdain for the pandering his party has done over the past four years to candidates and voters who represent the fringe position, but as he goes on, repeating phrases like 'the math-and-science lifestyle', I start to suspect that he's serious.  I don't doubt that he is a rational person, probably 'believes in math and science' himself, and that he's being politically correct in his approach to this; what shocks me is the implicit legitimization of the ridiculous head-in-the-sand circus show that the extreme wing of his party has become.  He's seemingly saying that this has been an acceptable position for some period of time, and he's not even rejecting it outright here, just saying that perhaps it's time to start opening up to other points of view.   So the question is: are Republicans really so insulated by their own rhetoric and made-up versions of reality that this kind of pandering from Preibus sounds like some sort of rational, if unwelcome, appeal? 

Views: 186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Delusional disorder is impervious to logic and rationality.

Borowitz is a satirist. I can't blame you for your confusion, though.

Heh, I guess I should have read to the part where he quotes Mr. Preibus on women making up 51% of the population before going on a TA rant.  Hopefully I would have got it by then. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 21 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon