There seems to be some who have the attitude that religious people are BAD people. If a religious person does anything good in their life it is seen by some that they are only doing it for their eternal life not for the sake of doing something good. As if the only thing they live for is their eternal so-called reward in heaven. 

Is it black and white?

Are they bad people just because they believe in God? There are many good people who are believers. Many. They may not have fully thought through WHY they believe in God or the evidence that supports that there IS no evidence for a God or they would be Atheists. But just because they haven't walked the same journey you have in life, or were born in to a religious family, does this make them a bad person?

Some of you seem to think that just because a person believes in a God, this somehow makes them bad. If you truly believe this I have a questions for you:

Who are YOU to judge another person like that? Are you not then just as judgmental and closed minded as the very people who you say are bad people? Does this make YOU a bad person?

Think about it.

Views: 1032

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Tom: Where is your question mark in your above statements? I don't see it. As far as being Irish I must have morphed into being Irish. I'll consider that a compliment. A pretty big one at that. But as far as a trick, I suppose we could argue who's tricking who? I can come up with more questions if you like :)

My question was a request: I asked you and others to step back from the words being used here and identify the purpose, or purposes, of the word "bad" in the term "bad people".

I'll wait a day and see if anyone looks for a purpose the word "bad" serves.

A man I know writes poetry and I once teased him with this: the English language has two excellent uses: poetry and fraud.

@Tom - it's a term of description.  That's its purpose.  It means people who are bad. 

Belle, Simon and Holo, thank you for your interest in my query.

We all hear name-calling in the news, especially in politics when members of one party express a dislike for actions of the other party.

They use the word "bad" to say they dislike an action or a policy. Similarly, they use the word "good" to say they like an action or a policy. When I want to engage them, I require them to explain.

Those same people seldom state their reasons for disliking or liking an action or a policy. They don't say how an action or policy harms them or helps them

They use words such as "bad" or "good" to close discussion. When I want to prevent harm to myself, I don't let them close discussion.

Belle asked, "Who are [we] to judge another person [as bad]? Are [we] not then just as judgmental and closed minded as the very people who [we] say are bad people?

I want to take the second of her two questions a bit further: Are [we] not then just feeling more stress than we know how to handle?

I think so.

BTW: So many people ignore Matthew's "Judge not lest ye be judged" that I don't use it.

I get what you're saying now Tom. Sorry for being a smartass. I just wanted people to think about something, Maybe they did as a result, maybe they didn't. I guess it's all up to the individual. Right?

Belle, your 11 questions puzzled me. They looked like a left brain product. Many guys use the left brain to keep things at a safe distance.

Name calling as a way to close discussion was in a book I read a few weeks ago. Your discussion here let me take it from my head and put it where I can see it.

Some of what people write here is stuff they dump. Your discussion stirred some thinking.

Yes. I am a lefty. You know what they say...we're the only ones in our right mind, LOL!

Some atheists do stereotype believers. There are some very honorable and worthwhile prescriptions among the basic beliefs of Christianity. The problem is often some accretion that has been added in later times through creative interpretation. This isn't to say that everything in The Bible is good, but things like The Golden Rule, some of The Ten Commandments (thou shalt not kill, remember to honor they father and mother, thou shalt not bear false witness, thou shalt not steal, etc.) are generally hard to argue against.

"...remember to honor thy father and mother,...." ????

My father and mother both used violence; I revised these words to "Fathers and mothers have to earn honor."

What is parenting?

It's a selfish act that requires more unselfishness than some people have.

""If there is any one secret of success it lies in the ability to get the other person's point of view and see things from their angle as well as your own."  [Dale Carnegie, quoting Henry Ford]

It's such an obvious point, yet few of us apply it in moral and political arguments because our righteous minds so readily shift into combat mode.  ...  The performance may impress our friends and show allies that we are committed members of the team, but no matter how good our logic, it's not going to change the minds of our opponents if they are in combat mode too.  If you really want to change someone's mind on a moral or political matter, you'll need to see things from that person's angle as well as your own.  And if you do truly see it the other person's way - deeply and intuitively - you might even find your own mind opening in response.  Empathy is an antidote to righteousness, although it's very difficult to empathize across a moral divide."

- Jonathan Haidt: "The Righteous Mind - why good people are divided by politics and religion" 

My biggest problem with theists and the question of "goodness" is that for every Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. we seem to have a hundred Pastor Fred Phelps. You cannot convince me that Fred Phelps is a good person, not with the bile and hatred that he spews towards my people. MLK was not only a good man, he was a great man, and I don't know if his faith had anything to do with that, but I think it's fairly obvious that the creator of GodHatesFags.com is guided entirely by his faith and his own bigotry.

Are all "religious" people BAD people?

No.

Their religion is.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service