There seems to be some who have the attitude that religious people are BAD people. If a religious person does anything good in their life it is seen by some that they are only doing it for their eternal life not for the sake of doing something good. As if the only thing they live for is their eternal so-called reward in heaven. 

Is it black and white?

Are they bad people just because they believe in God? There are many good people who are believers. Many. They may not have fully thought through WHY they believe in God or the evidence that supports that there IS no evidence for a God or they would be Atheists. But just because they haven't walked the same journey you have in life, or were born in to a religious family, does this make them a bad person?

Some of you seem to think that just because a person believes in a God, this somehow makes them bad. If you truly believe this I have a questions for you:

Who are YOU to judge another person like that? Are you not then just as judgmental and closed minded as the very people who you say are bad people? Does this make YOU a bad person?

Think about it.

Views: 1111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm told I kinda fit into the deist category. I believe in God in the respect that there is a source of the energy in the universe but that's about it no weird people on clouds controlling our fates etc. I just found it hard to argue with facts and the more I heard the double talk and the just illogical debating that went on in order to try to convert someone to this lie of Christianity I felt sickened. I now have a desire to spread the real truth about Christianity but need to educate myself more. Any suggestions as far as books go?
I was exaclty at that stage around six months ago. I am proud to say that this changed since I follow several atheists accounts on Twitter, including Godless Spellchecker. He said: If God is a kind of energy, then why call it God?
I haven't read much books because my parents wouldn't approve it, so I have read countless articles, listened to debates, and Twitter/documentaries.

Good Luck!
I hear you George. You know exactly what is going on. Once a person breaks free of the delusion and can see it for what it for the lie it is, we tend to become very angry. I've been free from Christianity for years and I still get angry about the deceptions of the Christian faith.
It's wasted time that ill never get back.

Just because someone believes in God, does NOT make them a bad person! 
However, the simple fact that they 'believe' is more than enough for me to not trust anything they say.

Believers 'believe', which to me means they have the mental ability to accept the existence of unicorns, 'life after screwing this one up', and moderate Republicans. To think that this type of frivolous playing with the truth doesn't spill over into their thoughts about serious adult subjects like social, economic and political issues is foolish and irresponsible on the part of anyone who listens to them. 

However, believers probably feel the same way about atheists.
I'm sure religious people feel that if atheists are demented enough to not believe in the giver of life and the savior of their souls, then they're probably ghoulish enough to think women are actually people, human babies are great cut up in salads, and the end of days was the latest episode of last season's True Blood.

I don't put much stock in the argument that 'they do good' either. If it weren't for religion, the world wouldn't be full of ignorant populations of constantly multiplying and starving people to begin with. But then religious people wouldn't have the chance to be seen as 'doing good' now would they?
Anyone can do good, including atheists. But if the religious and church folk want props for being the most giving, let 'em have it. Hell, they don't pay taxes, they should be giving something back.  

Religious people are not bad people. But they either believe in, or are members of, or align themselves with, or are supporters of; a nasty, greedy, murderous and raping network of belief-based businesses that rule over all of the major populations of oppressed, starving, sick and dying people on this planet. They should be imprisoned, given shock therapy, or at least ashamed of themselves. But alas, we elevate them to the level of aristocrats. 

Religious people, cannot be separated from the religions they believe in. And any sensible person should be wary of thinking of them otherwise. If you give money to a religion that murders and rapes, then you support, and are a part of, the murderous acts and rapes. Period!
Religious people: they are part of the overall reason that our world is full of ignorance and stupidity. Past that, I don't have a problem with them. Praise Lilith! 

Everyone judges other people. If one uses logic and reason after digging for the facts then one's judgment will be better than using feelings or religion as a basis. We judge a multiple murderer like Jeffrey Dahmer to be bad and that judgment is a good thing because then we treat him appropriately.

As for religious people: in my experience (and I am open to more facts but not so open to other's feelings) the more religious a person is the worse they are, generally speaking. It is not an either/or situation but a sliding scale. And that individual's behavior should be examined to see if they are an exception.

Since no one is perfect, that makes evaluating the mildly religious as mildly bad which makes them normal decent people.

Belle, and others, take a step back from the words and look at the purposes they serve.

Yes, words serve purposes. For instance, in the term "bad people" the word "bad" serves a purpose.

The word "good" in the term "good people" also serves a purpose.

Turn your brain power loose on determining the purpose, or purposes, that "bad" serves in the context here.

Belle, when I was in college another student told me "Answering a question with another question is a dirty Irish trick".

I asked you one question and you asked me eleven questions. How Irish are you?

My question was a request: I asked you and others to step back from the words being used here and identify the purpose, or purposes, of the word "bad" in the term "bad people".

I'll wait a day and see if anyone looks for a purpose the word "bad" serves.

A man I know writes poetry and I once teased him with this: the English language has two excellent uses: poetry and fraud.

@Tom - it's a term of description.  That's its purpose.  It means people who are bad. 

Belle, Simon and Holo, thank you for your interest in my query.

We all hear name-calling in the news, especially in politics when members of one party express a dislike for actions of the other party.

They use the word "bad" to say they dislike an action or a policy. Similarly, they use the word "good" to say they like an action or a policy. When I want to engage them, I require them to explain.

Those same people seldom state their reasons for disliking or liking an action or a policy. They don't say how an action or policy harms them or helps them

They use words such as "bad" or "good" to close discussion. When I want to prevent harm to myself, I don't let them close discussion.

Belle asked, "Who are [we] to judge another person [as bad]? Are [we] not then just as judgmental and closed minded as the very people who [we] say are bad people?

I want to take the second of her two questions a bit further: Are [we] not then just feeling more stress than we know how to handle?

I think so.

BTW: So many people ignore Matthew's "Judge not lest ye be judged" that I don't use it.

Belle, your 11 questions puzzled me. They looked like a left brain product. Many guys use the left brain to keep things at a safe distance.

Name calling as a way to close discussion was in a book I read a few weeks ago. Your discussion here let me take it from my head and put it where I can see it.

Some of what people write here is stuff they dump. Your discussion stirred some thinking.

RSS

Forum

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 25 minutes ago. 1 Reply

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 2 hours ago. 60 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 5 hours ago. 16 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service