There seems to be some who have the attitude that religious people are BAD people. If a religious person does anything good in their life it is seen by some that they are only doing it for their eternal life not for the sake of doing something good. As if the only thing they live for is their eternal so-called reward in heaven. 

Is it black and white?

Are they bad people just because they believe in God? There are many good people who are believers. Many. They may not have fully thought through WHY they believe in God or the evidence that supports that there IS no evidence for a God or they would be Atheists. But just because they haven't walked the same journey you have in life, or were born in to a religious family, does this make them a bad person?

Some of you seem to think that just because a person believes in a God, this somehow makes them bad. If you truly believe this I have a questions for you:

Who are YOU to judge another person like that? Are you not then just as judgmental and closed minded as the very people who you say are bad people? Does this make YOU a bad person?

Think about it.

Views: 1029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Leaders? Do Atheists have leaders? I demand an audience at once!!

Atheism has no pure intentions or teachings. Some Atheists are bad people but the majority of us are terrific human beings!!

I believe the world would be a better place without religion but people can only become better people if they make the effort. I never (ok seldom) judge people or mock them as individuals because of what they believe. They do however hold me and my views in contempt. Why would they feel mocked and scorned because I think differently or criticize their poor behaviour?

I do not ridicule theists with contempt. Criticizing their actions or the beliefs is different though I will say that many of them see this as ad hominem. That is because they cannot distinguish their “self” from what they believe.

Leaders? Do Atheists have leaders? I demand an audience at once!!

Not officially. But can you honestly tell me that the philosophy of some - dare I say many - atheists is not formed from ideas, quotes, books, and debates and/or speeches of certain atheists? (Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, etc etc...) There's nothing wrong with listening to or liking what a person says or writes. But when their quotes are expelled like cliche catch phrases and quoted regularly for the expelling of another human being to absorb without a proper education of what atheists DO believe it is THE reason why so many people believe that atheism is just "another religion." It walks like a duck, talks like a duck, but how can we say it's NOT A DUCK when it acts like one? What makes us any better when we talk about altruistic selfless morals and yet ridicule with contempt those who might BE our audience?

I believe the world would be a better place without religion but people can only become better people if they make the effort.

Yes. But many people cannot see what they don't know and must be taught.

Criticizing their actions or the beliefs is different though I will say that many of them see this as ad hominem. That is because they cannot distinguish their “self” from what they believe.

You understand the difference. So do we. But do they? Honestly. Do they? Will they come away with more real knowledge, or an opinion of you when they are criticized? How do you feel towards them when THEY criticize you? Do you come away with more knowledge of them or an opinion of them? 

Untaught... not taught.

What's the difference?

Once you accept something as fact that you have been taught is fact from a very early age - it is much harder to unlearn that - it shakes your self perception quite badly.  The effort to then unlearn that, and learn something different is compounded.  If you start without that kind of child indoctrination, then you do not have to unlearn anything. 

Point taken

I was an Atheist long before the “Four Horsemen” rode into town. Atheism is only cited as “another religion” by people who do not understand what the term means. There is NO belief system.  To use another clique – Atheism is a religion just like not collecting stamps is a hobby.  Theists have a book full of cliques. My ideas are formed from many sources and the ability to use critical reason and to think freely about what I have learnt from my inquiries.

“and yet ridicule with contempt those who might BE our audience”? Did I? Could I have an example of something "good" a Theist can do that an Atheist cannot?

No, you didn't Reg. Did you see the Dawkins video I posted? That's why I say that some ridicule with contempt the people (not just their ideas). HE advocates it and many (some even on TA) follow that like sheep just like religious people follow their child molesting bishops. I like Dawkins. But I am speaking out against the idea that we must ridicule PEOPLE.

All people can do good things. But not all people will do them without an alterior motive. Only those who help someone for the sake of it are worth listening to. Those who ridicule with contempt other human beings and tear down their very dignity for the sake of fighting their ideology, however backwards it may be, breed hatred inadvertently that will not ever allow those who claim that atheism is just another religion - to see otherwise.
It walks like a duck, talks like a duck, but how can we say it's NOT A DUCK when it acts like one?

Tell me the last time someone killed in the name of atheism. If it is a religion this should have happened?
HE advocates it and many (some even on TA) follow that like sheep just like religious people follow their child molesting bishops.

Please, don't dare to compare a satire with child molestation. You have no idea the BIG difference between a joke trying to ridicule and child molestation. If you see them as the same...

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Why Not Deism?

Started by Adam Weber in The Bible, The Koran, and other scripture. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 25 minutes ago. 95 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service