I am from Mexico and moved to America and what I found is that the normal in America is to be stupid. The grand majority are just plain stupid, now I compared it to Mexico (I lived in city and in 'high/educated' people (I put it in ' ' because the reality is that is relative) and the normal was to be stupid too, now don't get me started in the 'poor' areas). So, my question is: Are people stupid in general or culture, nationality, social class, play a bigger role? If so, why are there more stupid than intelligent?

*Note: When I refer to stupid or intelligent I am refering to the kind that Socrates meant, that the wise men were the ones who accepted ignorance and worked on it, the stupid were the ones who didn't care or thought they were intelligent.

** I don't feel intelligent or superior, but I try to be reasonable always.

Views: 1413

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Way to make me feel like I've lived a wasted life!

I 've always said "Ignorance is easily cured, Stupidity is a lifelong disability"

Education has very little to do with it. Just think of all the less schooled people you know of , who can have a good conversation, on multiple topics, or know more than you on some topics. Also consider the mentally handicapped who live happy productive lives, Then think on the well schooled people who open their mouths, and out pops Stupid.Case in point ...the American Tea Party.

Where does "Stupid" come from? I think much of it comes from laziness. Take the Dumb Blond who finds it easier to be stupid and let her companion feel strong and smart. Then there is the Dumb Jock who finds it easier to be stupid and cool to be accepted. Then the Class Clown who gets acceptance by being stupid and funny. None of these people actually need to be stupid, but find life easier when they appear to be.

Stupid tends to multiply. Overbearing parents with religion thrown in, tend to have a lot of kids. These kids are raised to be like their parents. Then grow up to continue the cycle. You do the math.It's pretty damned hard for a kid to realize the trap and work their ass off in private to get out of the cycle.

So are people stupid in general? No. They are raised that way, or choose to be that way.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service