To be clear, I mean in rational terms. I don't want to compare them in terms of the harm theistic religions may have done throughout history or anything like that.  By Pagan I mean Wicca, Gaiaism, animistic religions (the tree spirit, the river spirit, the sky spirit), spirit guided-religions (e.g., a Native American tribe guided by a wolf spirit), etc.

Tags: Gaiaism, Paganism, Wicca

Views: 278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No not really, they are all equally infallible and illogical. Although Norse Mythology is quite exciting in terms of the story line it presents just as Greek Mythology is.

One interesting thing is that the Norse gods are depicted as mortal. In the end, they die in a battle called Ragnarok:

Ragnarok ("Doom of the Gods"), also called Gotterdammerung, means the end of the cosmos in Norse mythology. It will be preceded by Fimbulvetr, the winter of winters. Three such winters will follow each other with no summers in between. Conflicts and feuds will break out, even between families, and all morality will disappear. This is the beginning of the end.

The wolf Skoll will finally devour the sun, and his brother Hati will eat the moon, plunging the earth [into] darkness. The stars will vanish from the sky. The cock Fjalar will crow to the giants and the golden cock Gullinkambi will crow to the gods. A third cock will raise the dead.

The earth will shudder with earthquakes, and every bond and fetter will burst, freeing the terrible wolf Fenrir. The sea will rear up because Jormungand, the Midgard Serpent, is twisting and writhing in fury as he makes his way toward the land. With every breath, Jormungand will stain the soil and the sky with his poison. The waves caused by the serpent's emerging will set free the ship Naglfar, and with the giant Hymir as their commander, the giants will sail towards the battlefield. From the realm of the dead a second ship will set sail, and this ship carries the inhabitants of hell, with Loki as their helmsman. The fire giants, led by the giant Surt, will leave Muspell in the south to join against the gods. Surt, carrying a sword that blazes like the sun itself, will scorch the earth.

Meanwhile, Heimdall will sound his horn, calling the sons of Odin and the heroes to the battlefield. From all the corners of the world, gods, giants, dwarves, demons and elves will ride towards the huge plain of Vigrid ("battle shaker") where the last battle will be fought. Odin will engage Fenrir in battle, and Thor will attack Jormungand. Thor will victorious, but the serpent's poison will gradually kill the god of thunder. Surt will seek out the swordless Freyr, who will quickly succumb to the giant. The one-handed Tyr will fight the monstrous hound Garm and they will kill each other. Loki and Heimdall, age-old enemies, will meet for a final time, and neither will survive their encounter. The fight between Odin and Fenrir will rage for a long time, but finally Fenrir will seize Odin and swallow him. Odin's son Vidar will at once leap towards the wolf and kill him with his bare hands, ripping the wolf's jaws apart.

Then Surt will fling fire in every direction. The nine worlds will burn, and friends and foes alike will perish. The earth will sink into the sea.

After the destruction, a new and idyllic world will arise from the sea and will be filled with abundant supplies. Some of the gods will survive, others will be reborn. Wickedness and misery will no longer exist and gods and men will live happily together. The descendants of Lif and Lifthrasir will inhabit this earth. (source)

I just fell a little more in love with Norse mythology.

Interesting you bring this up. I recently got a massage by a guy (professional setting) and we got to talking about our beliefs. He claimed he was a "white witch" whatever that means, and he said he does energy medicine. He was telling me how he sees auras and how we are all gods...weird WEIRD stuff. Gave a great massage though. It was entertaining. I don't know if it's any different except maybe slightly more comical.

We do find these alt reality folks entertaining, don't we?

I had a friend many years ago that considered herself a "white witch." She was into the karma of earth and  tuning into the 'hidden powers of mother.' Crystals and what not. She was a wonderful personable person but I couldn't connect on a metaphysical level. Where is she now? I can only wonder......

I've known several nice ladies like that. I wonder what went wrong in their childhoods that had them sticking their heads that far up their ass. One of them heard about The Butterfly Effect and felt very guilty that anything she did in her daily life might cause the demise of a galaxy some billions of years in the future.

I like the whole animal/earth thing but seriously it's all crap and can advocate real dumb stuff. Never assume people wont do weird shit if they can get away with it.

Never underestimate the power of weird

Leprechaun power.

They are SLIGHTLY better in that they don't claim their gods are infinite.  Once you make that claim as the Abrahamic religions do, you open up a can of metaphysically impossible (like four sided triangles), which is why I state that Thor and Zeus are slightly more plausible than zero, while Yahweh as described today cannot possibly exist.

[Folks like Archae will no doubt realize that Yahweh wasn't always considered to be infinite, which is why I phrased it "as described today."]

Of course Zeus and Thor et. al. might be metaphysically possible but they are arbitrary claims, so I don't for an instant take them seriously either.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 6 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com