Are modern atheists suffocating atheism with liberalism?

For starters, I’m an agnostic (pretty close to atheist), I don’t really have any thoughts on whether a God exists or not. I do however, have some thoughts on how this…”battle” between Atheism and Religion seems to be shaping out. I have many friends who are both atheist and religious, but almost all of them believe what they believe because they have researched their beliefs (to one degree or another) and have a decently solid basis for it. Now, it’s a well-known fact that most people are religious because their parents were, and they grew up with religion. With atheists, it’s quite a different story. Let me get to the point…

It saddens me to say this, but it seems like more and more atheists, especially internet atheists, are simply “converting” to atheism either because they hate religion (most notably Christianity) or are attracted by a lifestyle where the only rules of morality are the ones they themselves create. Whether they actually believe what they say they do, (or rather, disbelieve), is an issue that is put on the backburner. I feel that many of modern atheists simply accept disbelief of God on the basis of simple arguments, all too willingly, motivated mostly by their desire to be “free” of religion and its “restraints”. This growing propensity seems to be bolstered by the fact that many atheists (especially those on the internet (i.e. r/atheism) will openly support religions like Satanism, if only to piss of Christians. As I wandered from one atheist internet forum to another, I didn’t see any intellectual threads talking about something of value, such as “Why I choose to believe/disbelieve.” Instead, I saw scores and scores of threads discussing such topics as “The War on Christmas” and “The ignorance of Christians” and of course, the textbook “THINK OF THE HOMOSEXUALS” (Boo fucking hoo).

This trend has grown to such a degree that, to many people, atheism doesn’t mean “disbelief in God” or “disbelief in religion” anymore, as it should, but more markedly, “anti-religion”. People have literally come to equate atheism with liberalism, where the only form of morality is the Golden Rule and anything that is related to religion in anyway is evil. People have come to believe that being an atheist is simply giving yourself a license to do whatever you want (similar to the video below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP4k29N556c

Nothing could be farther from the truth. As I said before, I am an agnostic with atheistic tendencies. However, I do not condone drinking, drugs, fornication, cursing, or (and I don’t care if this offends anyone) the practice of homosexuality. I condemn these things on a scientific basis. Jared Taylor, one of the foremost advocates of the far-right community, and a staunch atheist himself, holds the same set of moral (or as I call them, efficient) values.

I sincerely believe that this growing delusion that atheism = liberalism, that atheism = license, or that atheism = freedom (from more than just religion) flies in the face of the facts. Again, more and more people seem to be becoming atheists simply because they downright despise religion or are attracted by the idea of a life without any rules, where they can be “chill” and “nice” to everyone. This growing fad has left the atheist community with a shortage of real intellectuals who seek truth rather than license, and leaves us instead with the rabid, seething masses of ignorance, such as the kind that breeds at r/atheism. “I WANT TO DO WHAT I WANT WITH MY BODY, BREAK THE CHAINS OF STUPID RELIGION, FREE THE SEXUALLY AND THE PHYSICALLY REPRESSED, DOWN WITH THE OLIGARCHY” This is not atheism, this is barbarism and primitive, devolved man, seeking to gratify base desires and drag down society with him and using atheism/relativism as a shield to deflect all criticism and attack opponents with impunity.

That being said, I feel that atheism is being abused in modern society, our community has become starved for real intellectuals and filled to the brim with neck-bearded anti-religious whack jobs seeking to gain a vantage point so that they can unload their vengeance upon society for “holding them back”. And frankly, I’m tired of it.

Thoughts?

Views: 2501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Atheism is a view about religion, not a political position. If atheists are liberal most of the time, it's because well-educated critical thinkers tend to arrive at leftish positions. 

I beg to differ, I could name many well-educated thinkers who are far-right in their philosophy of thinking.

Noting that there are the occasional exceptions in no way is a refutation of my point. Besides, wasn't it you who were arguing that most atheists are liberal? Make up your mind and get back to me.

You can name people all you like...that doesn't help you defend your stupoid ignorant claim. There are hundreds of millions of atheists in China and North Korea. Is their atheism intimately linked with progressive values? Silly boy.

Start backing up your claims with sources and statistics and consider giving up your scummy-values-trolling. 

Sorry but I generally refrain from discussing philosophy, ethics, and atheism with anyone who greets me with a barrage of insults. Good day, sir.

LOL. Says the guy who said that my sexual identity is wrong and disgusting. You won't discuss philosophy because you cannot defend your scummy ideas. That's called being a troll. A troll who parrots other peoples nasty racist ideas and who can't back up what he's saying. Bon voyage and dont let the door smack your ass on the way out. We can add your name to the list of short-lived-users who were scummy-ideas-trolls.

OR...you could offer some sort of defense. But you can't.

No self-respecting person would even begin to debate or argue with a person whose initial response is verbal abuse and harassment. Why? Because such behavior is a tell tale sign that you are a dealing with an close-minded, unreasonable person, and any attempt at a defense will result in further abuse. No thank you.

That's nice. I didn't read a word of what you just said and I doubt most here will read anything more you have to say because you have nothing to say of interest or value. Adios Nate.

You came here claiming most of us got something basic wrong and have offered nothing...NOT ONE SINGLE THING as proof. Doesn't that make you deserving of derision?

What are your "atheistic tendencies"? Do you tend to disbelief in the existence of gods on a part time basis? How is atheism, i.e. the lack of belief in any gods existing, “being abused in modern society”?

I have been involved with atheism for years. I have met atheists in and from many different countries. I have never met one who became an atheist because they “downright despise religion”.

What is the scientific basis for condemning cursing? I heard that before but it turned out to be just what some confused Christian believed because his faith made him feel morally superior. Once who hear the line “Even Jesus loves atheists” you know you are listening to a bigot who thinks holding other peoples' views makes them intelligent. I would be interested in seeing the peer reviewed studies into the reasons cursing is bad. What would you say are the top five worst curse words used in the States?

I find it interesting that every new member that bemoans the lack of intellectualism amongst atheists and who eventually mentions Jared Taylor also happen to share the same “efficient values” he promulgates. The last four people who did were unable to develop this point without descending into ad hominin attacks or offering any clear and rational reasons why they believed so. It was all just a litany of their own subjective opinions that made them sound more like the religious fundamentalists that post here on occasion. It’s all about what they “sincerely believe” and not about ideas that they could think freely about.

Hey Strega, I found my Veras :-)…..

To answer your first question, I would say that it is being abused because many people seem to use it as a shield behind which to hide when they attack religion, in addition to the fact that they seem motivated by ulterior motives, such as a desire to escape a social hierarchy of morality.

While it may be true that you have never met an atheist who became one because they "downright despise religion", I wasn't suggesting that it was the sole motivation, merely a strong contributing factor, possibly too strong a contributing factor.

It's a matter of social graces. Curse words themselves usually denote crass or sick images. A gentlemen, a person of superior blood, is often taught to watch his language. It is a mark of social status and superiority, the ability to control your tongue. So, to answer your question, no, cursing is not technically "bad" is the pure sense of the word, as much as it "classless". People with superior breeding, genes, and control over their emotions do not resort to verbal abuses, whereas lower class people exhibit the exact opposite trait. I don't think someone who curses regularly is "evil", merely crass, inferior, and not the type of person I would want to hang around.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service