This is in response to TJ and Reg from the last discussion where Reg disabled replies. BTW, thank you Reg for not allowing that kind of insulting on this site.

In that discussion, I briefly said that the Mosaic Law was never intended for Christians to follow today. Maybe Reg missed that part, because he then asked a bunch of questions about how to follow the Mosaic Law. TJ responded to me by saying:

Jesus said not to change the old laws one iota.

They therefore specifically still apply.

I assume the verse that TJ was talking about is Matthew 5:17-18, which says, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." 

Just to be clear, fulfill means, "bring to completion or reality; achieve or realize (something desired, promised, or predicted)."

If Jesus came to fulfill the law, then how would it still apply today?

This issue is actually a big theme in the New Testament, especially in Galatians. Here are several verses that support what Christians believe about the Mosaic Law.

knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. (Galatians 2:16)

Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law by the body of Christ. (Romans 7:4)

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. (Galatians 3:24-25)

Jesus came and died for us to give us salvation through him, not through the law. The New Testament has a lot more to say about it, but this is at least a start.

So Reg, to answer each of your questions: you don't. lol

Views: 280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know that I need to get to a point where what I believe is not any sort of presupposition.

That is a good way of starting your investigation Jeff. You owe that to yourself and not to anyone else. This is something we should all do with the beliefs and opinions we hold, be they religious, political or of any particular “ism”. Developing a talent for Skepticism is important, especially when you are trying to learn new concepts or academic knowledge. Remember skepticism (ok scepticism if you prefer!) is evidence based thinking and it is not a form of cynicism. The rewards gained from developing these skills will enhance your entire life.

Here is a different look at how we perceive reality and form our beliefs (and the inspiration for my next tattoo).

Here is a good video that may help you to study better (in college).

I'm willing to acknowledge only three main assumptions:

1. Reality actually exists
  2. I am conscious
  3. My senses allow me to perceive reality

Those are a lot more basic and simple than what most people with religion will tell you.

A cautionary note on #3...it takes a lot of work to interpret what the senses report.  The common example is a stick that appears bent going into water.  It isn't, even though it looks that way, but it takes more work with the conscious mind and the senses to figure out what's really going on, to discover that water refracts light for some reason, and thus to move from perception to knowledge. One could go so far as to say you need to look at it with a skeptical rather than a literal mind.

Fundamentally, you really have no other tools to work with.  Even scientific instruments and the like are artificial extensions that convert something you can't sense into something you can, and you still need your senses to tell you what those instruments have detected.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service