An absolute negation needs the proof of the positive to be certain? 

Absolute negation: "You will never be anything but a drunk."

To be certain, requiring no faith, the positive, observing the rest of the life, have had to been witnessed. Yet, how could it have? It has yet to exist in the circumstance.

The same can be said about Atheism?

Are Atheist Certain?

Tags: Certain, Dillusion, Faith, Hope, Reason

Views: 900

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't read responses yet, but...

Certainty is meaningless. A person can be absolutely certain of something and still be totally wrong. I'm sure some responders here have already pointed out that the word "atheist" means "without belief". It says nothing of how certain they are, or if they "know for sure" there is no god. One can be both agnostic (without knowledge) and atheist (without belief). Basically: "I do not know if there is a god, but I do not believe there is."

But our inability to say for certain that no gods exists applies to all gods that have ever been presented to us, not just the Christian god. There are thousands of gods to be considered. Are you certain none of them exist? It seems you don't lose any sleep over it yourself, just as we do not lose sleep over whether Yahweh exists. I may not be 100% certain, but I am confident enough that I rarely give it a second thought. I am not 100% certain fairies don't exist, but I would not rearrange the way I live "just in case" they do. It's very, very unlikely, and hardly worth thinking about.

Humans have vast imaginations, especially those that were trying to explain the world thousands of years ago without the aid of science. They anthropomorphized everything. I'm just not going to give their archaic ruminations much credit against tested scientific theories. I have no reason to believe there is a god anymore than I have reason to believe there are garden sprites.

[like]

"But our inability to say for certain that no gods exists applies to all gods that have ever been presented to us, not just the Christian god."

Why stop with gods at all? Theology is equally idiotic as astrology or alchemy. Do you have any issues with your certainty regarding the latter?

Quite so, Cara.

As an Atheist, I just do not even acknowledge a god. So there is nothing for me to be certain about

Strictly speaking, I am not certain there is no god. But for all intents and purposes, I may as well be. I'm just as certain about the non-existence of a god as I am about Zeus, the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.

You will have absolute proof when you absolutely disprove the existence of superman. In the mean time, praise be to the man of steel!

I am certain.  I am certain that given the information I have on hand, it is unreasonable and thus wrong for me to believe in any deity or the supernatural.

Can I say that I am certain that there is nothing out there?  No.  Can I say it is certainly unreasonable to entertain the possibility of it being true? Yes it is certainly unreasonable for me to do that.  There isn't enough evidence to make it credible for me to consider it as any more reasonable than santa claus or the easter bunny.  Of that I am certain as well.  I am certain that entertaining the idea is not reasonable.  If I run into some evidence that starts to suggest otherwise, I will revisit the reason-ability of the idea.

I'm not absolutely certain of anything, not even that the sun will rise tomorrow. (A number of extremely unlikely yet theoretically possible events could occur which would prevent that.)

All conclusions are provisional and subject to revision upon the addition of new evidence. Due to the lack of any evidence to support the claims of the existence of gods and the absence of evidence that would be expected to exist given claims made about gods, my current conclusion is that there are no gods and thus there is no reason to believe that they exist. If, in the future, evidence is found that supports the existence of gods, then I will revise my conclusions in the light of that evidence. In the meantime, my conclusion on gods remains the same as my conclusions on the Loch Ness Monster, pixies, aliens molesting cows in South Dakota and werewolves. 

RE: "I'm not absolutely certain of anything, not even that the sun will rise tomorrow."

Actually, Dave, at c. 96 million miles, it takes c. 8.5 minutes for light from that orb to reach the earth - none of us can really say that we ever see the sunshine, we only see how the sun looked 8.5 minutes ago. It could wink out as we speak, and no one would know it for 8.5 minutes.

pax vobiscum,
archaeopteryx
in-His-own-image.com

Actually archeopteryx, if you want to be yet more precise, it takes anywhere between a couple of million to a couple of ten thousand years for the bulk of the light generated by the Sun to first leave the orb in the first place. Yet in this case we can be reasonably sure that light is being generated inside the Sun as we spoke 8 and half minutes ago, because the neutrinos keep coming apace, unhindered but in their flavor oscillating merry ways.

No argument Albert - my point was, if we can't even be sure, at any given moment, that the sun is shining, even though we believe we clearly see it, how much room does that leave for faith in an invisible entity?

pax vobiscum,
archaeopteryx
in-His-own-image.com

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service