An absolute negation needs the proof of the positive to be certain? 

Absolute negation: "You will never be anything but a drunk."

To be certain, requiring no faith, the positive, observing the rest of the life, have had to been witnessed. Yet, how could it have? It has yet to exist in the circumstance.

The same can be said about Atheism?

Are Atheist Certain?

Tags: Certain, Dillusion, Faith, Hope, Reason

Views: 903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, in fact you can even (in a preliminary manner) quantify that "beyond reasonable doubt" position by using Bayesian analysis, like this way I learned in Sunday school: http://foxholeatheism.com/absence-of-evidence-is-evidence-of-absence/

Hey Albert,

Uber, uber nice! Thanks for that link. I'm going to dig into it tonight and reply, but yes, the whole "absence of proof is not proof of absence" mantra can be and often is overused.

- kk

from my point of view there is PROBABLY no god and I can't know otherwise so why worry :D

At my core, I do not believe there are any deities.  I can't say with certainty that there aren't, because one cannot prove a negative.

If you are wondering if I lay around at night questioning my atheism, the answer is an unequivocal, "No."

"Are Atheist Certain".

Are Atheist Certain of what?

Do we live our lives based on certainty?

Are you certain you will not be killed in a car accident- yet continue to drive?

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismatheistsriskhell/a/CertianGod.htm

Hey Ron,

This is another great way of pointing out a common theme you and I have. There is a concept of "reasonable doubt" involved here that requires us to act without absolute certainty. We drive our cars because to fail to do so based on the risks is "not reasonable". Thanks for the link.

- kk

You're welcome.

And by the way, I enjoy reading your commentary.

I am absolutely certain I do not KNOW IF there is a god (or gods) or Not! Thus, I AM an AGNOSTIC!

I am also absolutely POSITIVE there is NOT sufficent factual evidence (ZERO!) any god, or gods are real! Therefore, I AM ALSO an ATHEIST!

And I am an ATHEIST ACTIVIST!

SO YEA, I AM VERY CERTAIN!

----------------------

TO "Maurice Whitehurs" WHO SRIKES ME AS BEING JUST ANOTHER PRR! (PROGRAMMED RELIGIOUS ROBOT)

ONE WHO HAS NO CLUE THE ODDS ARE ABOUT 100% THE ONLY REASON HE BELIEVES IN THE RELIGION AND IN THE NUMBER OF GODS HE DOES IS BECAUSE OF WHO RAISED HIM.

THE ODDS ARE THE SAME THAT THE REASON HE DOES, OR DOES NOT, BELIEVE, AS OVER 3 BILLION DO, IN MANY GODS IS BECAUSE OF WHO RAISED HIM.

WHILE HE CAN NO MORE PROVE THERE IS NOT ONE GOD, OR NOT MANY GODS, THAN WE ATHEISTS CAN, FOR DAMN SURE WE JUST "DIS-BELIEVE IN ONE LESS GOD" THAN HE DOES!

WHILE THERE ARE OVER A BILLION ATHEISTS WORLDWIDE AND SOME WHERE RAISED AS ATHEISTS, MOST OF THE MANY MANY MILLIONS OF ATHEISTS IN THE UNITED STATES WERE ONCE
RELIGIOUS,

MANY OF US CHILD, HAVE BEEN WHERE YOU ARE AND WE KNOW IF YOU HAVE AN OPEN MIND AND ARE WILLING TO DO SOME ACTUAL THINKING, THE ODDS ARE GOOD YOU WILL BECOME ANOTHER "FORMER RELIGIOUS PERSON" AND AN ATHEIST AS WELL.

YOU SEE CHILD, WE NOT ONLY HAVE MANY MILLIONS OF FORMER CHRISTIANS AND JEWS IN OUR RANKS, MORE OF THEM THROW THEIR RELIGION ON THE TRASH HEAP OF HISTORY WHERE IT BELONGS AND THEY BECOME MORE "FORMER CHRISTIANS".

AND FYI, ONLY ABOUT 25% OF THOSE IN MANY EUROPEAN COUNTRIES BELIEVE IN ANY GOD, OR GODS. SAME FOR NEW ZELAND AND ITS BIG NEIGHBOR AUS.

RELIGION IS LOSING OUT LIKE MAD IM MANY FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES.

SO WEEP CHILD, WEEP!

Please, lay off the caps lock. It's really annoying to read.

Really? It doesn't bother me one tiny little bit. Isn't that strange about people?

REALLY, NOT ONE TINY LITTLE BIT!

Tex.. it's a matter of courtesy for one. All Caps comes across as yelling. Since most people don't yell in the middle of polite conversation, it is also not accepted online.

RSS

Forum

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 8 minutes ago. 2 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 11 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service