Are atheists a part of the collective consciousness?

I believe our awareness and connection to all things,makes us a part of something greater than ourselves ,conscious.

Views: 841

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That sounds kind of woo-ey.

I feel that way too, and I think most animals with a frontal cortex (but especially humans) want it to be true, and search for it. That doesn't make it true, but it makes a lot of us act like it is, and much of our unconscious is dedicated to just making connections whenever it can... i.e. even when we're unaware of it.

But it's not via woo. You can see newborn babies' eyes they're "connecting" to us, even before they've developed a coherent consciousness in their frontal lobes. Later, consciousness creates its own narrative and increasingly manages thought and behavior, it wildly speculates on connections, and with encouragement from each other's wild speculations and pressures to believe this or that, some go overboard into religion, conspiracy theories, astrology, and so on... you know, woo.

So yeah, I just define "collective consciousness" as an endeavor (for humans, at least), but any woo one feels is just an illusion. I take the feelings as experiences to learn from, even when they tell me more about me than they tell me about the world I'm in, or the science of it. And I don't get pissed off at most batshit crazy people.

Just my $.02.

Well said !!!

There is an author and psychology professor I like and respect called Steve Taylor whose main field of interest is "spiritual awakening".  As an awakened person (I've met him and it's true) he maintains that everything is connected by some kind of consciousness, which he feels or perceives.  But also as an awakened person, I don't see this at all. 

Can you explain your view in more detail? 

As for Jung's "collective unconscious" I believe this is rather a "common unconscious" which we all share as part of our common evolutionary heritage, rather than being some kind of actual field of consciousness that we tap into. 

Why do you or I have a view ?What makes our brain contemplate ,the stars,and beyond?Why does a higher mind even come into play?Why  am I never alone?To talk to myself is not rational ,unless I know the answer inside myself.

Can you explain your view in more detail?

I've been thinking about how to summarize my own view better than I have in the past, but it's going to be a while (or never) before I can say it as well as this:

You are too Jung to be a Freud of anything.

Argh! First thing Monday morning? Reg!

Does he say these things on porpoise or just for the halibut? I just gave myself a haddock.

Robert, you think I will take the bait? Ok, now I feel rather orcaward but trust me bouys and gils, I am unable to scale back on the fish puns. I am being searious here and can’t believe you would think I do it on porpoise.

Strega – You think this scampi happening but it reely is and there is no fin you can do about it lov’. Ok, only codding you. You know I think you are just brill.

Ralph – I apologise – I have a problem I must take ownership of and no bones about it.

Did I just hear a gunshot?

It's all pretty fishy. I'm gonna P-eel on out of here do fast I'm gonna leave squid marks.

Holy mackerel!  This is punning on a scale I'm just not used to, but I won't carp about it.  I'll just sit back, and wait to see what comes down the pike next, since any attempt to equal it would just end up with me floundering about.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service