So when I was working today my openly gay boss came back while doing some back of the house work, and naturally we engaged in some conversation. I just found out he was gay the other day, and I just couldn't believe until he told me.  A matter of fact, he even called himself a "fagot" never ever thought I'd hear that.  I have theory onto where the word fagot came from.  Possibly humorous in nature or offensive, but that's a different story for a different day.

Anyways, I am a new born Agnostic I guess you could say, still kinda fence sitting betweem Atheism and Christianity, but I feel more drawn to Atheism every day...and Gary's case only solidifies it.  Gary was once married, had kids, and in fact married to this woman longer than he was openly gay.  He says always kinda knew he was, but just kinda ignored...but his mid life crisis rolled around and thats when he told her what was up.  I can't really imagine what it would be like to go through all that, on his wife, kids, and even Gary. It'd be difficult situation, especially considering they were married for 15 years.  

Anyways so me and Gary got into the topic about Gay marriage...and we both agree it's not so much the word married that grinds our gears, but rather the "rights" part of it.  Why shouldn't a partner be beside each other when one is about to pass?  Especially after 30 years of partnership, these kinda things came from Gary, and I heartfully agree with him.  Because marriage is a religious thing, and chances are even in East Tennessee, a homosexual person isn't going to be super religious (however with the slight growing acceptance of homosexuality among some denominations, that could change).  So therefore the word marriage is meaningless, it's simply the rights part of it.  He said he could care less about a tax deduction. Love is love.  Agreeable.

Anyways I'm getting off topic, so I told him I'm accepting of gay, lesbian people in my community, however I can't quite wrap my head around the bisexual thing...and he said that's good but disagreed about the bisexual thing and stated "Lot's of creatures are homosexual, take the mental part out of it...what are we Nathan?" I just looked at him, confused as if he was insinuating something "Animals!"
So true so I reply "Yeah but the difference between us and dog is the ability to reason..."
then this truly was an interesting " I guarantee you evolution wouldn't fail on this one, if I go out there grab...well your an employee, if i go out there and grab a male customer by the balls, he's going to get an erection...so were technically bisexual by nature" By the way this mainly came up because I asked him if he enjoyed sleeping with a woman...apparently he did, because as far as I'm concerned, pressure is pressure. be it being a woman's part, male's buttocks. or your own holy hand.

But the notion that we are all born bisexual kinda left a note on my mind. I'm in fact a heterosexual male, and gary stated while we may not like mentally, our body most likely would not be able resist such actions, and reactions...what do you guys think? and sorry I know this is a mouthful.

Views: 1417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nobody is 100% gay or 100% straight. I think a lot of the reason why people act repulsed by the thought of having sex with someone of the gender they're not attracted to is because they just think "I'm not supposed to be aroused by this" and they push all possible enjoyment they'd have gotten from the thought out of their head.
I don't know that I could psychologically enjoy a man. Is that conditioning or a natural function of the brain? I don't know. Bonobo's being one of out closest relatives openly engage in homosexual acts. Dolphins jump into group action often and Penguins also are liberated. Is it possible that we have the same potential that is suppressed due to "greed" or another motivator... Good Question.

Article on the freaky nature of the animal kingdom.
Also known in rats and wolves, especially notable under stress of over population, and we humans certainly live in conditions of overpopulation in most cities.

Of course we can all have sex with anyone or any thing (whole in the wall...), the question always has been do you want to ?

Bonobos never developed the knowledge that when the penis enters the vagina there is a baby a few months later, all they know is that it's fun, so they do it. IT FEELS GOOD! But all similar actions feel good too, so why the hell not! The only thing stopping you is your mind.
I think the main example used here is pretty awful.

Plenty of rape and sexual assault victims experience arousal but are obviously not attracted to their assailant necessarily.

Human sexuality and sexual orientation are A LOT more than just arousal. I think almost all people have the potential to be bisexual. (Key here being that not all or not even most bisexuals are equally attracted to the different genders).

I mean there are 6.5 billion people in the world. There are very high chances that you might be attracted to one person of the gender that you're not usually attracted to at some point in your life.
i don't care what happens as long as a man or a women stay away from my butt. It's not a phobia or anything..I don't even enjoy wiping my own ass. lol
Unless that's from a physical discomfort (which I'd then recommend you go to a doctor about), it's likely embedded in a subconscious fear or mental discomfort you're not entirely aware of. While you shouldn't actively enjoy it, it's irrational to feel uncomfortable about wiping yourself because it's that particular area. That actually *is* a form of phobia, which does not just have to do with fear, but also disgust or hatred for something, i.e.: the idea of anything penetrating you or even touching around that area.
But if you've never tried it with an open mind you simply cannot know...
its strange he lived 15 years with his wife
but then he had strength to tell her
i feel its like some one stuck with a partner he doesn't love ... and then he finds real love ?
will he keep on laying to him self ? ... or try to end his marriage ?

i am talking about both men and womens

in my world ... we have prepared marriages ... so 80% of womens here are not marred by love
or the ones they would love to have sex with or live with
its sad sex in my world is not contented with love or chemistry ???
islam and arabic cultures have damage every thing
My wife was in Turkey for ten days last month and said that no one who had an opportunity to date others dated Turkish women. The reasoning they gave was that the Turkish women assumed that marriage and children was the ultimate goal of each relationship. Many men did not want to get married but rather enjoy life. It seemed to be an interesting crossing of ancient culture the modern world separated by gender.
Well there is a theory of a continuum of sexuality which goes along with my own experience ...

Some (rare) ppl are totally asexual ... some are totally heterosexual, whilst others are slightly or very bisexual (think prison/ ships ... many 'hetero's' are temporarily 'homo's' - and enjoy it ... despite religious/cultural oppression ) ... And some are more on the gay side or totally gay.

Are most ppl bisexual? I think probably.
I agree about the spectrum. Sexuality is analog, not digital. Although most people may fit into one of two broad categories (which is where I slightly disagree about most people being bi-sexual*), which is why most people probably think about as one or the other.

*although I think most people have the capacity for it.
not digital??? !!!!!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Ari E. S. 2 hours ago. 67 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service