My atheist friends often have Psalm 14:1 lobbed at them as if the verse ends the conversation like a holy grenade! It says, "The fool has said in his heart there is no God".

But the verse does not mean all atheists are fools. It means anyone who "says in his heart" there is no God is a fool. In other words, anyone who denies God for merely emotional reasons is foolish. An issue this profound is not to be determined by one's psychological state or emotional disposition.

The person who has genuine intellectual questions or objections concerning God's existence is not the biblical definition of a fool. God will honor and answer in the humble quest for truth. The honest inquirer is in a better position before God than the emotionally closed-minded.

Since I'm talking about the Hebraic-Christian Scriptures, they repeatedly say we must humble ourselves before God. Think about it. If God exists, humility is certainly in order in seeking Him. "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you". "Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God", etc.

This shouldn't be hard for the atheist intellectually. Most of my atheist friends agree that humility is in order in the quest for any truth. Don't you agree?

(On the other hand, I can see how horrible I would feel (at least at first) if, say, Islam was proven to me to be true. I would be forced intellectually and emotionally to acknowledge Allah and Muhammad. I would have to begrudgingly and reluctantly bow before them. That would suck! I would acknowledge Allah's existence, but probably continually resist any relationship or love for him until he smote me!

But I must say that my emotional resistance to Islam is mostly for intellectual reasons! Thankfully, I am confident there is nothing forthcoming in Islam that will serve as an adequate defeater of Christ's claims.)

BTW, I am aware of Christ's injunction against calling anyone a fool, yet he himself did. Keep in mind that Christ is forbidding unwarranted name-calling (literally "empty head") from people who are themselves often foolish!

Views: 929

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure there was something. There's always a personal revelation or some experience which the believer attributes to whichever deity they believe in. Any guesses?

I'm gonna go with the classic, "I met my soulmate. Yahweh is the only explanation."

Actually the statement is nonsense because your heart can't say anything.  It's an organ that pumps blood.  This was probably written at a time where people didn't know that the brain was used for thinking and the heart wasn't the center of thoughts or feelings.

Again, your interpretation of the verse you listed above is just that... an interpretation. What I took that verse to mean, when I was a believer, was that someone who said "in their heart" there was no God, was someone who [deep down] truly did not believe. It never struck me as a reference to how they felt emotionally, but was a statement about what was truly in their heart and mind; their inner being.

I know you're trying to make this a bit more palatable to atheists; try to sugar coat the fact that Christianity believes we're fools, but... I do know a thing or two about Christianity, and I think you're taking a lot of liberty with the scriptures. But, ya know? Whatever. I'm sure you'll try to argue me out of this, but you're not "fooling" me. I know what the Bible's opinion of nonbelievers is, and it's not very positive.

Okay, I'm going to skip ahead to the part where you consider finding out that Islam is the true religion, and you bow before them. Is this really a good argument? You're saying that we should accept and worship God, if begrudgingly, because he'll smite us otherwise? Allah isn't exactly a praiseworthy being. And, if you read Deuteronomy, you'll notice that Yahweh and Allah are truly the same god; Yahweh promised Abraham that he would bless Ishmael with the same riches and descendants he promised to Isaac. The Muslims are justified in their claim to a piece of the Holy Land. I can provide you with a verse if you don't believe me.

But I digress. Allah and/or Yahweh are both repugnant beings, and I will never willingly worship either/both... nor should you. They are tyrants, and if they existence, their godhood does not make them worthy of worship. Their abuse of power, and cruelty to weaker beings, makes them worthy of disgust and rejection. I reject a bullying god, full of himself and full of threats against those who question his goodness. A god like this is not good. If I'm forced to bow, that still doesn't make him good. It makes him a cruel dictator.

I would reject these gods for emotional and intellectual reasons. Fortunately, "I am confident there is nothing forthcoming... that will serve as an adequate defeater of" reality. Thankfully, gods are imaginary and I don't have to lose sleep there's one lurking under my bed, ready to take my head for doubting its existence.

While I don't know if there is a god or creator or what have you, I do feel certain that the Christian God does not exist. False statements. Bad Science. Contradictions, Poor ethics. I have no reason to assume that this God exists any more than Apollo. So I do cross the line and say that there is no Yaweh as a matter of certainty.
Yes, I'm in that camp for sure.

Yep.. yahweh and Allah are pretty bad..  I much prefer certain yogic cosmologies...whose view of 'god' is  wiser and more mature. more loving, more forgiving.  It explains mans predicament in a more thoughtful way. 

If there was a god I'd much prefer certain yoga versions over Yahweh or Allah.  But they aren't perfect either...just better (more palatable) than the christian or muslim versions.

Actually, in my late days as a Christian [just before I deconverted] I dared to make a decision to defy God. I decided that I would demand to be sent to hell with the heathens until everyone [including satan] was released, because in truth, no one deserves eternal torment... no matter what they may have done.

Kevin,

Your persistent at beating a dead horse grows tiresome. Without the scientific EVIDENCE so many of we atheists have requested your just wasting precious time for those of reasoned rational thought.

Outside of that I am extremely reluctant to adopt a lifestyle of humility and bowing before something. As an Aries sucking up to a creator just don't figure into the equation.  :^ )

I might suggest you pop over to one of the Islamic online sites and present your mumbo jumbo to them. Good Luck w/ that.

Actually Kevin makes a wonderful case for Islam.  If he keeps re-interpreting the Bible and changing words based on what he 'thinks' the originals might have been then he just might become the next Mohammed.

My Chinese Zodiac Sign is the dragon, so I'm supposed to be a hard-headed intellectual as well. [Not that I believe astrology though... duh!] lol

[Technically I don't have a western zodiac sign, because on the day I was born, the sun was in the constellation Ophesias, lol - see physics about the shifting of constellations in the "astral sphere" - that imaginary sphere of constellations people think they see.]

This is what an online site says about me. [I'm an "earth dragon" 1988]

The Dragon personality The Dragon is a creature of myth and legend. A symbol of good fortune and sign of intense power, the Oriental Dragon is regarded as a divine beast - the reverse of the malicious monster that Westerners felt necessary to find and slay. In Eastern philosophy, the Dragon is said to be a deliverer of good fortune and a master of authority. Therefore, those people born in Dragon years are to be honored and respected.

The key to the Dragon personality is that Dragons are the free spirits of the Zodiac. Conformation is a Dragon's curse. Rules and regulations are made for other people. Restrictions blow out the creative spark that is ready to flame into life. Dragons must be free and uninhibited. The Dragon is a beautiful creature, colorful and flamboyant. An extroverted bundle of energy, gifted and utterly irrepressible, everything Dragons do is on a grand scale - big ideas, ornate gestures, extreme ambitions. However, this behavior is natural and isn't meant for show. Because they are confident, fearless in the face of challenge, they are almost inevitably successful. Dragons usually make it to the top. However, Dragon people be aware of their natures. Too much enthusiasm can leave them tired and unfulfilled. Even though they are willing to aid when necessary, their pride can often impede them from accepting the same kind of help from others. Dragons' generous personalities give them the ability to attract friends, but they can be rather solitary people at heart. A Dragon's self-sufficiency can mean that he or she has no need for close bonds with other people.

CHARACTERISTICS

• Innovative
  • Enterprising
  • Flexible
  • Self-assured
  • Brave
  • Passionate
  • Conceited
  • Tactless
  • Scrutinizing
  • Unanticipated
  • Quick-tempered

THE EARTH DRAGON 1928 AND 1988

Earth Dragons make great managers because they are practical, levelheaded and demonstrate a knack for organizing. They still have the need to dictate and be admired, but they are affable, congenial and supportive. Compared to other Dragons, Earth Dragons are less likely to breathe fire at the least irritation. They will work diligently to complete their life goals. The Earth element adds a greater portion of self-control to the Dragon's personality and usually the Earth Dragon is deserving of the respect he or she desires. These Dragons take their life and romantic responsibilities quite seriously.

DRAGONS MAKE EXCELLENT:

• Computer analysts
  • Inventors
  • Engineers
  • Architects
  • Lawyers
  • Philosophers
  • Psychoanalysts [lol...  what do ya know? I'm a psychology major!] 
  • Brokers
  • Managers
  • Salepeople
  • PR People
  • Advertising agents
  • Officers in the armed forces
  • Campaigners
  • Politicians

[Of course...  I'm SUPPOSED a Sagitarrius]

SAGITARRIAN DRAGON
Open and straightforward, the Sagittarian Dragon's honor is well-intentioned, although it can sometimes be insensitive. Extemporaneous and careless, this Dragon's abundant fervor sweeps everyone along. They have a charming outlook on life.

Oh yeah! The main use of the "cosmic sphere" now-a-days is for locating specific stars and constellations from a point on the Earth.

A star is located based on Latitude, altitude, ascention and declination. [or in one hemisphere, in hours instead of ascention - I think]

Jeez I'm getting on a tangent... trust a science geek right? lol

Over/Under until people stop responding to this attention seeking, no hard question answering behavior.

I'm going to set it at 3 weeks.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service