My atheist friends often have Psalm 14:1 lobbed at them as if the verse ends the conversation like a holy grenade! It says, "The fool has said in his heart there is no God".

But the verse does not mean all atheists are fools. It means anyone who "says in his heart" there is no God is a fool. In other words, anyone who denies God for merely emotional reasons is foolish. An issue this profound is not to be determined by one's psychological state or emotional disposition.

The person who has genuine intellectual questions or objections concerning God's existence is not the biblical definition of a fool. God will honor and answer in the humble quest for truth. The honest inquirer is in a better position before God than the emotionally closed-minded.

Since I'm talking about the Hebraic-Christian Scriptures, they repeatedly say we must humble ourselves before God. Think about it. If God exists, humility is certainly in order in seeking Him. "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you". "Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God", etc.

This shouldn't be hard for the atheist intellectually. Most of my atheist friends agree that humility is in order in the quest for any truth. Don't you agree?

(On the other hand, I can see how horrible I would feel (at least at first) if, say, Islam was proven to me to be true. I would be forced intellectually and emotionally to acknowledge Allah and Muhammad. I would have to begrudgingly and reluctantly bow before them. That would suck! I would acknowledge Allah's existence, but probably continually resist any relationship or love for him until he smote me!

But I must say that my emotional resistance to Islam is mostly for intellectual reasons! Thankfully, I am confident there is nothing forthcoming in Islam that will serve as an adequate defeater of Christ's claims.)

BTW, I am aware of Christ's injunction against calling anyone a fool, yet he himself did. Keep in mind that Christ is forbidding unwarranted name-calling (literally "empty head") from people who are themselves often foolish!

Views: 912

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Psalm 14

1The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

2The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

3They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

4Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD.

5There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.

6Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge.

7Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.

================================================

The writer of Psalm 14 was complaining about the Israelites - why make it more complicated and say that a few stanzas of a poem from long ago and far aways describes modern life and modern people. 

The Psalm is quoted as if inspired and therefore for all times. I'm pointing out that even given inspiration not all atheists are the biblical definition of a fool. And who says something written in the past cannot apply to today? Of course it can!
[Like]
Well played.
I'm pointing out Argumentum ab Annis. "The newer the truer" is not necessarily true. Something written years ago could be true and relevant today.

"necessarily" "could be" 

"Argumentum ab Annis" chronological snobbery its use is to describing the erroneous argument that the thinking, art, or science of an earlier time is inherently inferior when compared to that of the present. It does not give you the right to say just because something is old it has to be right either... You completely refute the plausibility of the Sumerians religion for your much younger religion without any basis... Yet you are the not guilty of chronological snobbery even before the start of your arguement? You seem to be the only person who is unable to be held to any standard here... Judge your argument based upon all the fallacies "FIRST" I think you mentioned picking apart ones beliefs earlier? and then only then should you bring the argument to the table..

But my argument against Sumerian's religion was not based on it's age. I don't do that.
Then please explain your facts sir not your feelings if you do have the time..
Please remember as well the Historian's fallacy when one assumes that decision makers of the past viewed events from the same perspective and having the same information as those subsequently analyzing the decision.
Hitler had the right idea but wasn't ambitious enough. We shouldn't discriminate, we should hate everyone equally. ;)
Nip on over to King Nipple's profile.  He's a strong Christian.  After looking at his profile pic and reading his drivel, you tell me if there is an atheist on here who beats him in the foolishness category.
LOL! I honestly thought you were making a joke, then I found out that King Nipple was a joke, but real at the same time!

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service