Anyone listen to music that expresses their views on religion?

I've been listening to some music that expresses some of the atheistic views that I have, and I was wondering if anyone else would like to share any songs or artists that they like?

A couple of my personal favorites are R Way by Rebelution and Best God in Show by NOFX.

Tags: music

Views: 990

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How bout a little band called Bad Religion :)

Only Rain off the latest album is pretty good. Some other relevant BR songs I like:
Dearly Beloved
God's Love
Destined for Nothing

NOFX You're Wrong
Freakin' love Bad Religion. :)

Bad Religion
Tool / A Perfect Circle / Puscifer
Coheed and Cambria (not outright Atheist but it has some dark songs like The End Complete that say 'God is not here, he will not save you'.)

But actually, usually I listen to music that seems to have the opposite connotations. E Nomine is one of my favorite groups and they sing partly in German and partly in traditional Latin with frequent references to God. Bob Dylan also made a lot of references to God and I listen to him frequently, same with Leonard Cohen. The list goes on.
"Tool / A Perfect Circle / Puscifer"

Love all of it!! I get confused with where Maynard stands on religion though. I would assume that he is an atheist, but i'm not too sure.
While it's painfully obvious he isn't a Christian, or monotheist at all, I wouldn't go so far as to call him flat out Atheist either. I would probably classify him as more 'nontheist', active with his dislike for organized religion but he doesn't seem to slam God or announce his non-existence blatantly like you would expect him to. He IS very controlling of his public image, so his religion is a guessing game. From personal experience with his songs (I've been listening to him since I was five), I would say he's probably a nontheist with Taoist or Buddhist philosophies. I would venture more toward Taoism because it isn't so specific with the whole list of rules you have to follow to relieve suffering, and more just 'go with the flow of the earth, take what comes, whatever happens is meant to happen; it's all a part of life' point of view. Maynard expresses this philosophy a lot in his work, especially in pieces like Aenima where he describes mother earth swallowing everything and returning everything to normal. He seems to be very 'we're one with the earth', but not in a super hippie sort of way. It reflects a lot of my beliefs when he sings, and a lot of the dark experiences and journeys I've personally taken, and I identify with Taoist philosophies myself.

Just some food for thought. Maybe some reading up on it and a re-listening to some of his songs may open some doors of perspective if you're really curious.
I find your reflection on him possibly being Taoist and mentioning Aenima very interesting actually considering he took up an interest in wine and decided to start maintaining a vineyard. I'm sure you know of it and the story he has given as to what inspired the interest. That reminds me, I still need to watch his documentary Blood Into Wine.
I totally fanboi'd out. I'm going to all three BR shows in NYC this month. They're playing a different decade of music at each show :) I haven't seen them for a good 5-6 years though...catching up I guess.
Well, considering what has been mentioned so far, and for other reasons that some of you all out there may be aware of, I'm thinking some people may take issue with this offering. Here it goes though. I've been unable to stop listening to the new album by Greydon Square. You have to be cool with rap/hip hop music, but I'm so impressed with his latest album, that i'm feeling like it is a powerful call to arms for atheists. The album is called The Kardashev Scale.
I'm not a big rap or hip hop dude, but it's interesting how much different I receive this album when I directly relate to the message.
Quite a few songs, especially from my punk collection, but lately I've been listening to Cursive's Sleepy Hollow. Almost the entire album is a statement on religion.

Find more music like this on Think Atheist

Rise UpI Rise Up!

dear preacher, thanks for making time for me today
hope you don't mind if i hide behind the curtain
it's been fifteen years since my last confession
by your good book's standards, i've sinned like a champion
but that book seems a tad bit out-dated

please forgive me, for questioning divinity
it's an ugly job, but i think i'm up for it
i'm not saying who's right
i'm just saying there's more than one way
to skin a religion
there's more than one way
to explain our existence

reverend, sir, i don't want to seem malevolent
my teenage angst is far behind me
but father, certainly it's troubling to see
all these people kneeling, instead of dealing
with the fact that we are all we have

so, rise up! rise up!
there's no one to worship!
but plenty of life to lose!
i'm not saying "let's burn down the church"
but do you want to hear my confession?
it's my greatest sin..

okay, here it is:
i wasted half my life on the thought that i'd live forever!
i wasn't raised, to seize the day, but to work and worship
'cause "he that liveth and believeth" supposedly never dies

rise up! rise up!
and live a full life!
'cause when it's over, it's done
so rise up! rise up!
dance and scream and love!
Radiohead - Where I End and You Begin

The entire Hail to the Thief album is directed at the irrationality of W., but this song in particular (as far as religion goes) is my favorite. In it, Thom Yorke is singing to a young earth creationist and finishes by chanting "I will eat you alive" over and over again. Epic.

There's a gap in between
There's a gap where we meet
Where I end and you begin

And I'm sorry for us
The dinosaurs roam the earth
The sky turns green
Where I end and you begin

I'm up in the clouds
I'm up in the clouds
And I can't and I can't come down

I can watch and not take part
Where I end and where you start
Where you, you left me alone
You left me alone

X'll mark the place
Like the parting of the waves
Like a house falling in the sea
In the sea

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

and There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
How did you find out about the specifics of this song? That's very interesting stuff!
I didn't. That's my interpretation. Sorry =/

RSS

Forum

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Karlee 3 hours ago. 2 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Cato Rigas 5 hours ago. 34 Replies

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service