I'm in the midst of a religious debate with a Christian who claims that the following phrase is NOT religious:

I claimed that opposition to birth control is PURELY religious.  He claimed that he could conceive of an atheist who believed that "every possible human being had a right to exist and we had no right to block the chance" and would therefore oppose birth control for reasons that are NOT religious.

Opinions?

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was my first response to him!  Pretty much along the lines of, "You've already shown that you have no problem conceiving of a giant telekinetic invisible humanoid that rules the world..."

I didn't think they existed either, but they do.

However, I will note that he was only against pills, IUD's, emergency contraception, implants, patches, and any forms that allow possible fertilization of an egg but not implantation. An atheist can certainly believe that personhood begins at conception and fertilized eggs deserve all basic rights to exist therefore most birth control = murder.

While I'm sure most atheists would fall into the so-called pro-choice camp, the two topics are totally disconnected. There is nothing about opposing abortion that is inconsistent with a lack of belief in a theistic deity.

The question was whether or not an atheist could believe that a potential human had the right to exist and would oppose birth control for non religious reasons. The answer is yes and one non-religious reason is strong opposition to abortive methods of birth control. How exactly are those two topics disconnected?

I was saying only that being an atheist doesn't necessarily imply a position one way or the other on abortion, which is a totally different question. Similarly, not all theists are opposed to abortion. There is the disconnection.

Your responses seem to imply that I claimed opposition to abortion is inconsistent with atheism when I actually stated the opposite as a logical reason why an atheist might oppose birth control. I also cited an example of one such atheist on this very site to answer to the title question of this post.

I didn't claim being an atheist or theist necessarily implies a position one way or another on abortion.

No fighting you two!  I'll turn this thread right around!

I repeat: I was saying only that being an atheist doesn't necessarily imply a position one way or the other on abortion, which is a totally different question. Similarly, not all theists are opposed to abortion. There is the disconnection.

We don't disagree.

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 7 hours ago. 12 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Davis Goodman 9 hours ago. 63 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 7 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service