Any TV shows cancelled while they were still really good?

Sometimes shows go on a bit too long after losing direction or inspiration before they are cancelled. The X-Files, Alias, and Twin Peaks come to mind. But then sometimes they cancel a show while it's still in its creative prime.

One show that comes to mind in that regard is Lie To Me. Based, if loosely, on actual science, this show about a human lie detector had a number of well-defined and fascinating characters. Tim Roth played Cal Lightman, a behavioral psychologist specializing in microexpressions, especially as regards telling if someone is being truthful. Kelli Williams played his partner, a psychologist specializing in body language. Among the supporting characters, the standout for me was the luminous Hayley McFarland who played his daughter, the one person who had the power to read and confound him. Although she sometimes displayed the bad judgment and recklessness of youth, she could also display a wisdom well beyond her year when it came to her father.

I really miss this show. If you're unfamiliar with it and have Netflix, watch it there.

What is your story? (Let's stick with programs recent enough that someone in college today might have seen them.)

Views: 652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oooh yeah - I forgot about Alias!

Hot L Baltimore, only one season, would have last if first air'd ten years later.

Lie to Me was amazing. I loved a show called "Life" with Damian Lewis. Amazing actor and story.

Definitely Freaks and Geeks, Arrested Development, Star Trek (TOS), Star Trek: Enterprise, and Firefly.

I also would have liked to have seen Caprica continue, but it was dragging along pretty slowly.

The "Event" was awesome, and so wasnt the new V!

Moonlight - my favorite tv show. 1 season, won 2 awards... cancelled suddenly out of the blue and left us with a heck of cliff hanger. :P

Farscape, and Max Headroom. Definitely Max Headroom.

Oh, yeah, and Eureka just got cancelled, next season is the last one.

Loved Max Headroom.

I also loved the TV series La Femme Nikita. It was cancelled far too soon. The series ran from 1997 to 2001 and is not to be confused with the current TV series, Nikita. The stories were based on the French film of the same name, which was directed by Luc Besson.

One that im scared that they might be canceling(ending) is House. heard that there are rumors of this being the last season.

Also Smallville even tho i stopped watching it mid series and only got back into it in the last 2 seasons sure leaves a lot to want. Clark finally becoming the man he was supposed to become and then it ends. its like all 9 seasons were just the first chapter and now finally when he becomes Superman it ends. SAD

Wonderfalls. I love off beat, dark comedies and that was a good one. Firefly, of course. My own worst enemy was awesome! Totally should have had more than one season. 

Oh and the dresden files. Good one, too

A tv show i wish WAS canned on the second or third season? Supernatural. Argh.

Without a doubt, Arrested Development was one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.  

Another was Sports Night.  GREAT show!

Brisco County Jr. was a steampunk western with Bruce Campbell. It ran 4 or 5 episodes, then was canceled. I was sadly disappointed.

Holy crap! Wikipedia says there were 27 episodes! I wonder if I can find them online...

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service