I was just wondering if anyone has ever came across any good secular arguments against gay marriage. All I ever seem to hear is about how being gay is immoral, and they get that immorality thesis from the Bible so it doesn't really apply.

Tags: civil, gay, marriage, rights

Views: 2551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like I said, "Any good reply can be condensed. Condense it."

You don't really want a discussion, you want to drive the interlocutor away by making it too much trouble for them to engage you.

You just proved my point.

Yada yada yada.

Like I said, if you had something to say, you could boil it down to something quick and easy for everyone to comprehend. Instead, you hid behind a wall of words.

You didn't really want a discussion, you found a way that usually works to avoid it.

You're a success.

But I don't think most people bother to read your long-winded, overblown, bloated essays.

Incorrect. The idea that every concept and position can be condensed down to a sound bite is false and usually held by those who don't want to have to think too hard. Some ideas and positions actually require in-depth analysis and an underlying knowledge base that cannot be assumed. Otherwise, all textbooks would be mothing more than simple one-liners and one could become a PhD in physics in an afternoon.

It is based on the idea that being gay is a sin and we should not legally allow such a sin to take place. However being married if the woman is not a virgin is a sin so the argument holds no true ground. And losing your virginity is almost always certainly a choice whereas being gay might not be. As a christian I think that the argument against gay marriage is stupid and it should be legal.

If (and it's a huge "if") it could be shown that children of gay parents are severely disadvantaged in some way, that would be a point against gay marriage. But we already let crack dealers marry alcoholics and have children, don't we?

© 2015   Created by umar.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service