Apparently some christians believe it marks the beginning of the "Rapture."  What will you be doing May 22?

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! How horribly awkward & annoying. I've known people like that, possibly more delusional if you can believe it. Someone I knew also thought they were some kind of messiah warrior reincarnated from a life on a different planet. Actually, he apparently had vivid memories of several past lives that all seemed to coincide with some anime character. God apparently communicates to him via pop culture (movies, fan fic, anime, etc).
What a drag for you!  Although, sometimes crazy religious babble can be entertaining.  I don't know about three days' worth, though.  So sorry!
After a while it was actually like listening to a radio play production of star wars.  This guy really seemed to think he was some sort of Luke Skywalker character and there seemed to be no end to the amount of 2012 doomsayer predictions he had absorbed and was regurgitating.  "Crustal shift", magnetic reversals, 7 mile high tidal waves, planet X, the Anunaki, babylonian/mayan/nostradomas prophecy, intergalactic treaties - it was so fantastic that at times I almost forgot how incredibly stupid I had been in selecting a camping partner from an internet classified ad.

No, they are two different BS end-of-the-world prophesies

One is for people who take ancient literature too seriously, and the other is for people who take ancient calendars too seriously.

#Tigerblood
Same thing i did when the world ended in Y2k, home watching science channel...
Its going to be a busy day for me I'm going to pick up several new homes and cars that I've always wanted. The work will be hauling the bibles , icons and jesus fridge magnets to the dump.

One of my friends believes that there is a second sun and or a Planet 'X' that is going to appear in March 2011. If that happens then worrying about the "Rapture" is meaningless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuvu9mUsOuw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvGyCXTHoZo

Check the Pope's diary. If he's got any engagements booked beyond May 21st., then the Rapture just ain't happening. He's NEVER wrong (apparently...)

This one isn't a Catholic prophesy, I'm afraid, it's the invention of a character named Harold Camping, who is some flavour of  American protestant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Camping

Can someone explain a little more about this rapture thing?

Heh heh... Wellll

Jesus died and rose again, then ascended into Heaven... promising to return before that generation had passed (which has been reinterpreted over and over to fit into the idea a generation has not actually passed since then)... this is what Christians refer to as the "Second Coming". But a bunch of prophesies have to be fulfilled before Jesus can return. There is supposed to be a seven-year Tribulation before Jesus' 1,000 yr reign here on earth, and some Christians believe they will be "raptured" before the Tribulation and spared the torment and misery that is supposed to ensue. Some believe they will be "raptured" during the Tribulation, and some believe it will happen after.

Most Christians believe that to be "raptured", God's people will literally disappear from the plant (leaving behind their clothes/fillings/implants/shoes) and reappear in Heaven in their spiritual form. They theorize (can I use the word "theorize" in the context of complete BS??) this event will kick-off the seven-year Tribulation because of the destruction that will ensue as a result of people simply disappearing suddenly. For instance, an airline pilot may disappear and his plane would crash, and any scenario you can think of where a person disappearing could be a huge problem for those in the vicinity.

After the 1,000 year reign, somehow all God's people will end up on the "New Earth"... Satan will be cast into eternal damnation (separate from nonbelievers?)... God and Jesus will reign supreme for all eternity while the "chosen" will sing his praises forever more (my thought is... isn't that a sort of Hell?)

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 1 hour ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 6 hours ago. 12 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Davis Goodman 8 hours ago. 63 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 7 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service