As of now, only Oregon and Washington have assisted suicide laws. Given that Oregon had one first, and then Washington followed suit, that may be the way it spreads: from state to neighboring state. Why? Because it's easier to see that it's working in an adjoining state. Also, adjoining states often have similar cultural values.

What are your views? Anyone here actually against assisted suicide or have grave doubts about it? 

Discuss.

Tags: Oregon, Washington, assisted, suicide

Views: 458

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Unseen;

"Any good arguments AGAINST assisted suicide?"

None that I can think of.  When will you be needing help? :D

I knew I'd be opening up a bandora's pox.

Assisted or not, I don't have a problem with anyone choosing to quit this life. Should you need help, you could arrange for me a return ticket, I will not disappoint you :-P

Can I help?  I will hold his hand and say encouraging mystical  sounding words. :)

Can we burn some incense?

I like sandalwood.

Incense is a good idea, do you have matches?

No, but I got two sticks. :)

No. We have no say in the matter if someone wants to die but is unable to administer their own death. It is utter discrimination against those who are unable to commit suicide that they must live and suffer while those who can buy pills and swallow them can end their misery whenever they want. My only concern is for the person who passes them the tool of death and that they be emotionally prepared for what they are going to do and be realistically able to deal with it afterwards.

...and sheltered from unintended legal consequences of assisting.

Yes...and that too!

I'm pro assisted suicide, and against enforced death penalty. It think it would be more humane to allow the convicted person to choose, life in max security prison, without parole or death by preferred method. I say preferred method, because I'm afraid of needles. So If I were on Death Row, I'd like to choose my method. I'd probably go with firing squad, or guillotine. Large caliber bullet to the back of the head, while blindfolded, it's likely that you wont feel a thing, or at least not long enough for it to matter. Guillotine, they can apply a topical anesthetic if you're that nervous, but a 1/4" thick, razor sharp blade that weighs upward to 100 lbs, you won't feel anything at all.

I bring up the death penalty, because it could be bundled with Assisted suicide, and we could make it all about freedom of choice. You don't have the right to end someone else's life, but you have the right to end your own, choose how to do it, and ask someone to help you.

Suppose that, given the death penalty, someone who murders someone HAS chosen suicide, at least as the possible outcome of their choice. 

Giving the murderer a choice of how to die would offend many who remember that the victim wasn't given that choice.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 5 hours ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 16 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 16 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service