Come out of your closet and take your licks. How can you back an explicitly pro-religion party that thinks women are second-class citizens, chattels of their husbands and The State, and who favors widening the gap between the rich and non-rich even more?

Views: 3316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Points worth keeping!

There are plenty of atheist republicans out there; typically they are fiscal republicans and typically they are moderate. In the current state of politics in the US there is a complete lack of actual discussion. Those with the loudest voice and most extreme ideas are getting the center stage because they attract attention, they make for good headlines, they entertain, and they sell. Those who are more reasonable, those who have more nuanced views, those who actually want to explore the options, and find compromises have been marginalized in a sense because they don't attract attention, they don't make for good headlines, they don't entertain, and they don't sell.

I personally have no idea what label would be appropriate for my political views if indeed there are any labels appropriate for me. My registered political party is democrat because then I get to vote in primaries and maybe influence the often more reasonable of the two parties in the direction I'd like to see it go. In local elections I typically vote Green Party, Independent or Democrat. Few Republicans have enough positions I agree with to vote for them but I don't rule out the possibility of ever voting for one. The one group I cannot stand are the Libertarians. I've never voted for one and I don't imagine that will ever happen as I find their positions on most things confused and/or detestable. My big issues are health care, education, environment and social responsibility. By social responsibility I mean thinking about how individual actions will affect the whole and taking that into consideration when making decisions on all levels.

Just as there is no place for moderates in the republican party, there is no place for true liberals in the democratic party.

It would be easier if they just referred to themselves as Party A and Party B. Instead of having meaningless debates on pretend issues, they could just argue incessantly over which one of them gets to be A, and which one gets stuck being B.

Wow, '..a wanker whipping up fear!' I think this was a proper wanker wacking!

Wanking being masturbation, it generally precludes doing much else (e.g., whipping up fear) while doing it. 

So I did get it right? LOL

Unseen, I am not from the US, but if I were I would vote Republican. I am an atheist, and I am more against what Democrats stand for, than pro-GOP per se. I guess if the Libertarian party was stronger I would vote for it.

You are being unfair in the portrayal of the GOP vision. It's true that it's pro-religion, but it's very clearly pro-religious freedom as well (those who criticize atheists are not following the party line). And the point of women being second-class citizens, that's simply bollocks. And don't get me started on the gap widening between rich and poor.

The problem, Unseen, is that you measure people on their intentions (or what they say their intentions are). And the bigger problem with the Democrats is that they're full of intentions... but their policies fail miserably. But hey! They had good intentions, didn't they? An example is President Obama - a clear, utter failure in everything he has put forward (including Obamacare, a partisan legislation which will be killed come January), but as he was the "Great Uniter", he still is in the running... 

Admit it, you are as bad as the Christians: they think that if they pray, they solve everything. You think that if you vote Democrat, there will be no more poverty and the world will be a happier place.

What part of the Democrats' agenda do you fear most? Empowering women and keeping Republicans out of their bedrooms and doctors offices? Keeping the wealth gap from widening? Providing opportunities for the downtrodden and disadvantaged to improve their lot? A more fair and productive immigration policy? 

The Republicans claim the Democrats function by dividing America, and yet Republican policies tend to draw lines of exclusion due to tea party ideas. They don't want people who are pro-choice, but the welcome mat is out for "birthers" and gay-haters.

In what way is the GOP War on Women bollocks? Let's have a debate on that point!

" the wealth gap"

Why not let the wealthy grow their wealth? They earned it. Why do the poor care if the wealthy get more wealthy? I think poor people are thieves and act like pathetic victims. They feel they are entitled to other people's money. Economic equality is a utopian ideal that is essentially communist.

@mwifjsyi

What makes you think 'the wealthy' have earned their wealth?  I mean, I'm sure some of them have - but there are many who haven't had to work for it at all.  Why not have a fair system that rewards people for their work rather than their birthright?

How about this, mwifjsyi - laws that state that during your life, you can't give any of your money away, and after you die, all of your wealth is automatically transferred to the government - under those conditions, how many multi-millionaires do you think America would have?

Or, how about something a little more equitable? How about, because you're living in a country that has made it possible for you to get rich, you give back more to that country than the average person, because the privilege of living here has made the accumulation of your wealth possible in the first place?

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 13 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 13 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service