Come out of your closet and take your licks. How can you back an explicitly pro-religion party that thinks women are second-class citizens, chattels of their husbands and The State, and who favors widening the gap between the rich and non-rich even more?

Views: 3242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why not adopt positions closer to the Green Party, for example?  Theirs is an example of a platform that leaves god/religion out of their positions.

How about because they'd rather win being largely right than lose being 100% right. A professor once told a class I was in that radicals are more concerned with doctrinal purity than with winning. Being pure is great as long as you can live with being ineffective.

RE: "as long as you can live with being ineffective"

You're deliberately feeding me straight lines, right?

Speaking of Republicans, Tricky Ricky Scary Perry is back in the news:

Rick Perry: Church and state is Satan’s fault
"This separation of church and state is just false on its face,” the Texas governor said
By Jillian Rayfield

Texas Gov. Rick Perry knows whom we have to blame for that whole “separation of church and state” thing: Satan.

“Satan runs across the world with his doubt and with his untruths and what have you and one of the untruths out there that is driven is that people of faith should not be involved in the public arena,” Perry said during an evangelical conference call this week, put together by the Rev. Rick Scarborough.

He continued: “Somehow or another there’s this, ya know, steel wall, this iron curtain or whatever you want to call it between the church and people of faith and this separation of church and state is just false on its face. We have a biblical responsibility to be involved in the public arena proclaiming God’s truth.”

http://www.salon.com/2012/09/20/rick_perry_church_and_state_is_sata...

Can anyone tell me why this man is allowed to govern an entire state, when he belongs in a padded room with lots of medication?

Amazing. He is in office with, IMHO, an extreamist theist agenda, so why did this 'steel wall' not prevent him from taking office? Were the citizens of Texas just sleeping at the 'wall', when Perry walked through? He reminds me of a heavy handed, wanabe dictator, of the faithful! 

The sheeple of Texas voted for him.

Many there refer to him as, Governor Good-Hair --

Boehner Says Out Loud He Hopes Blacks and Latinos 'Won't Show Up' This Election

House Speaker John Boehner is the most prominent Republican to admit, out loud, that his party's strategy for winning in November doesn't suppose that the GOP can win over some black and Latino voters, but hoping they won't vote at all. Boehner wasn't talking about voter I.D. laws, which are being pushed by Republicans and criticized as disenfranchising minority and poor voters, he did tell a luncheon hosted by the Christian Science Monitor in Tampa Monday that the Republican Party was counting on apathy from the Latinos and blacks who are choosing Democrats over Republicans by record margins in recent polls.

As Talking Point Memo's Benjy Sarlin reports, Boehner said:
“This election is about economics… These groups have been hit the hardest. They may not show up and vote for our candidate but I’d suggest to you they won’t show up and vote for the president either.”

http://news.yahoo.com/boehner-says-loud-hopes-blacks-latinos-wont-s...

Well, Sen. Boehner (whose name, in the original German, is pronounced far closer to "boner" than "bayner"), good luck with that. You're probably wishing women were still disenfranchised, but there's no going back on women's suffrage now.

Did he and the GOP just acknowledge that they have royally screwed up?

Maybe the closest thing we get to an apology...

That puzzles me as much as a gay Republican. There has to be some degree of self-deprecation going on when you support someone who explicitly and publicly makes it known they are against your "lifestyle" and want to suppress your rights. I feel the same about minorities who weren't born into privilege or anyone who isn't earning over $250,000.00 per year for that matter. Either they aren't paying attention or they are out of their minds.

And Republican policy makers know this, Alfredo, which is why they use such carrots as "no gun control" ans "no abortion," and most recently, religion, on the end of their sticks, then whip up concern that if their candidates are not elected, all of their fears will come to pass.

Basically, it's like telling your kid that if he doesn't do as you say, the Democrats'll get him!

An Atheist economic conservative is probably just as likely to vote Republican over Democrat.

Being an Atheist I care little about faith & god - so ignore those aspects of political debate. Focusing instead on policies that reduce the size of Government, Public Servants etc.

I find the republican offering more palatable (even allowing for their nut-job faith principles). I see faith as the lessor of two evils.

Note: I'm not American so I don't have a clear understanding of domestic US politics. However I know enough to see that the Obama administration & excessive debts are a problem your country will take a long time to deal with. The Tea Party are described as crack-pots both domestically & internationally. I generally prefer a liberal ethos to that of conservative, but being broke would scare me more.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Zachary L. Hagedorn 51 minutes ago. 168 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.