Come out of your closet and take your licks. How can you back an explicitly pro-religion party that thinks women are second-class citizens, chattels of their husbands and The State, and who favors widening the gap between the rich and non-rich even more?

Views: 3305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, so (referring to the subject line "Any Atheist Republicans Here? Why?" you are a Republican because you are a fan of Karl Rove?

GOP Congressional Candidate Says Mideast Turmoil Is Because Of ‘Gir...

NC-7 GOP nominee David Rouzer

A Republican congressional nominee laid the blame for turmoil in the Middle East on “girly men” in the White House.

North Carolina State Sen. David Rouzer (R), the GOP nominee in the state’s 7th congressional district, levied the charge during a speech at a Tea Party Express rally in Wilmington on Sunday. If Romney is elected, Rouzer said, those perpetrating recent violence in the Middle East are going to “cut it out a little bit [...] because now we have real men in the White House.” An audience member shouted “No girly men!” prompting Rouzer’s approval: “That’s right, no girly men.”

ROUZER: When we get [Romney and Ryan] in you are going to see a big change, you’re going to see number one that America is going to be respected again around the world. You’re going to see all this turmoil that’s taking place, you’re going to see them look up and say guess what, the American people have spoken and maybe we need to cut it out a little bit, maybe we need to tone it down a little bit,because now we have real men in the White House.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: No girly men!

ROUZER: That’s right, no girly men.

Watch it:

When President Obama was asked by reporters in December about GOP charges that his foreign policy isn’t tough enough, he responded curtly, “Ask Osama bin Laden and the 22 out of 30 top al-Qaeda leaders who’ve been taken off the field whether I engage in appeasement.”

Rouzer first earned notoriety in June when he pushed a bill through the North Carolina Senate that banned the state from using scientific predictions of upcoming sea-level rise. Stephen Colbert lauded the move in a Colbert Report segment: “If your science gives you a result you don’t like, pass a law saying the result is illegal. Problem solved.”

Some of us Mexican-Americans in the southwest have a saying about immigration "we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" The same goes for me in politics I used to consider myself a moderate conservative. I'm a registered Libertarian because I favor a limited government; however, I don't appose social policies when they are needed and when they work. I am in favor of social security and even a single payer health care system. It seems to me that without notice someone moved the centerline between Liberal and Conservative and I ended up on the left side. This is all bullshit to me because no matter what I vote based on evidence, that is the information I obtain about candidates and propositions. Not since the election of 1996 have I voted for a republican or democrate. I was young and naive and it was the first time I ever voted. I almost always vote for libertarian candidates now unless they are complete nut jobs and I admit some of them are.

The worst thing to happen to the Republican party was that it was hijacked by the religious right.  Barry Goldwater even warned people about this back in the day.   I'm not a republican but I do miss those that weren't radically religious. 

Someone needs to fire that part of the Republican party back up so that they can wrest control from the radically religious.  We desparately NEED the fiscally responsible checks and balances and the ability to compromise that just doesn't exist with the crazies running the show today.

They were also hijacked by the know-nothing Tea Party.

Once Romney loses, which he will, the Republican Party will have to do some soul-searching if it wants to remain viable, getting back to fiscal conservativism and eschewing all the religious baggage.

OR...there will blossom a new conservative party which will split the Republican's base, which would be great news for the Democrats.

I would like to add, that the Greens could have a chance in such an alternative future also.

Not such great news for the Democrats, for it would split them as well. Within the Democratic Party there are those who place environmental issues ahead of economic and foreign policy issue. In order for the Democrats to not experience what the Republicans are experiencing with the Tea Party, Democrats need continue to live together in imperfect harmony.

Oddly enough the original intent of the Tea Party was to get the Republicans to _actually_ focus on fiscal conservatism, instead of just paying it lip service.

Depending on the local organization, of course, hijackings of the Tea Party occurred; there were "Abortion Is The Only Thing That Matters" pukes waiting in the wings from day one, for their opportunity to take over.

Now it appears that, "No Obama Second Term" is the uniting agenda. It would be interesting to see how the make-up changes, should Obama be reelected.

We can all make sure that this happens by simply voting for the democrats (or, at least, against republicans) until the republicans get the message and get rid of the crazies.

It always puzzles me, the word atheist simply means non-theist and yet forums or (fora if you prefer) with the formal word Atheist in the title seem to contain many contributions which attach the contributors personal ideology to the word.

This thread for example starts off implying that if one chooses to wear the label "Atheist" then one is automatically not a Republican (another label), this type of logic further implies there are no Theist Democrats, which as I said is puzzling.

Given that the current republican party is the party of theocracy, it would be insane for an atheist to support them.  Consequently, it is logical to assume that most atheists do not support them.  This does not at all imply that there are no theist democrats.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service