Come out of your closet and take your licks. How can you back an explicitly pro-religion party that thinks women are second-class citizens, chattels of their husbands and The State, and who favors widening the gap between the rich and non-rich even more?

Views: 3302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"...stupid after careful consideration..." :) I like it, I'm stealing it for my lexicon. Thanks.

Arcus says:

"...income and wealth are certainly good..."

Which reminded me of another quote,

"...greed is good..."

I smiled that sad smile of surrender and wondered how much more "good" this little world of ours can take before all the "good" is gone.

Which essentially tells me that you are psychologically primed to cast anyone which defends income and wealth into a sociopathic Gordon Gekko, even though my statement and your misquote aren't even related.  

Which reminds me, do you still disagree with the quote in its fuller version?

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind(..)"

And what is the definition of "more than one needs or deserves"?

Arcus, I really don't have a horse in this race, having as I do, exactly what I need and deserve, but the question would indicate a naivete I know you don't possess.

How many yachts does a person need? How many luxury cars? How many homes? How many thousand-dollar suits? How much cash do you need to stockpile, in order to live comfortably for the rest of your life? But for lack of inclination, I could fill this page with similar questions.

I think the point is that it is anyway not up to you or I to say how much other people need or deserve, nor to make value judgments of others decision lest we wish them to do the same to us. The only possible thing we can agree on is some least common denominator of what people need, of which I think enough food, shelter, heat, (un)employment security, health care access, and so forth would probably be where the discussion should be at.

What people deserve I think can be placed at whatever they are able to get without breaking laws and, at least preferably, ethics. 

Don't you know? They need as much as they can get. The more they get, supposedly, the more crumbs the middle and lower class will find under their table (this is the so-called "trickle down theory" of economics).

The big problem with the idea that the more money the rich have the more jobs there will be is that there is NO guarantee that the jobs will be in the U.S. Money stored in a Cayman or Swiss bank is a lot more likely to result in jobs outside the United States than within it.

Maybe we need to ask Romney to consult with his offshore banks and give an accounting of how many jobs his money has created and how many of those jobs have been in the United States.

I don't believe in desert (not dessert) as an abstraction. Much as I feel about rights, that there are only two kinds of rights, legislated and imaginary, I think what one deserves can only be defended on the basis of a contract or law. Other than that, desert is imaginary.

I just figure that money is an abstract tool, one that allows a approximation to compensation during the creation and maintenance of human relationships, that involve the exchange of materials, supplies, tools, and services. It could be assumed that the more $$ one has the more materials and services could be exchange for, but how much is enough?   

My physical ability to do work, my 24/7 limits to time, and even my non-infinite degree of interest in 'everything', holds me back from an obsessive interest in money, 'as a life style'.

I spent about ten years deeply interested in 'securities', 'commodities', and managing 'risk'. When I was younger, I could feel the charm of checking my 'portfolio' and buying and selling to optimise my profit or minimise my losses.

Many times over that period, I would talk with folks at stock holders meetings, brokers in their offices, and business owners/investors looking for that next 'big thing'. I even saw a fraud unfold a few times and watched how the SEC checked in.

One time, during an office conversation, the brokers were promoting the trade in South Africa gold. This was at the time when the boycotts of South African goods was beginning. I asked the brokers, 'What about the boycotts, do you care about the people is South Africa?' They said, 'that is politics, this is business!' The brokers were members of a local church.

Over time, I lost interest. It felt like the best in me was not being feed. I was beginning to feel that pull to power, but also the lose of freedom as a direct result of 'management' issues, and the single minded focus upon accumulation. I wanted my life back!   

Sadly, I see the sociopathic, more than the prissy-white-light, reality of capital.

Has Arcus been deeply embeded into the religion of capital, or does he only aspire to knell at its altar?

I see capital as a tool, a means to an end, that end being the increase in well being which necessitates the use of said capital. However, just because capital is one tool which does not mean it's the only tool, but it is quite important and difficult to avoid. It's like a saw in the tool shed, how many saws I need depends on what I am are going to saw. The mere possession of tools give me no joy, unlike those with massive garages and sheds full of gleaming tools, it's the utilization I find interesting. (FWIW I have two cheap saws, one for wood and one for metal, plenty enough for the rare times I need them.)

For instance, visiting friends abroad brings me happiness, but traveling to meet them, especially those who live a bit off the beaten track or far away, tend to cost a lot of money. Add to that the fact that I actually hate the travelling bit, the low-budget hanging out and having a beer part of the journey is actually what gives value for money, while the big-budget plane ticket gives me negative value. 

I have a fairly nuanced and distant relationship with money per se, despite, or perhaps more accurately due to, being a thesis short of a masters in finance.

an Atheist Republican reminds me of a Gay Muslim

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 5 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service