Come out of your closet and take your licks. How can you back an explicitly pro-religion party that thinks women are second-class citizens, chattels of their husbands and The State, and who favors widening the gap between the rich and non-rich even more?

Views: 3316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I expect that the theocrats, if they lose their attempt via the RNC, will be pragmatic about it and attempt the same via the DNC. One good thing could be that atleast the voting public will have had a heads up before hand. Having experienced the short-term memorys of atleast one Corp, the DNC might lose interest in history and welcome the theocrats as a voting block, but with the similar strings/demands.

Suppose the Democrats weren't a big tent. One of the problems the GOP has is that of alienating blocks of voters: women, minorities, atheists. The Dems have to offer them a home.

Maybe because I'm a lot older than you, I can see the trajectory of the two parties. The Democrats are in no way going back to 1950. The entire idea is absurd. It's the Republicans who are self-destructing.

RE: "because I'm a lot older than you"

I've about six different cheap shots, just poised to fly off my fingertips, but it's been a long day and I'm fresh out of giggles, so I'll give you a pass --

The idea of a theocratic Democratic Party doesn't even pass the giggle test. Sorry. The trend has long been in the opposite direction. This time they actually forgot to put a mention of God in the platform, which the "corrected." Perhaps next time they'll forget to correct it.

Yes, but as you go through their platform, so many things hinge on Christian theocracy.  Yes, the Dems have theocracy in their platform too, but nowhere near to the extent of the Repubs.  Why not adopt positions closer to the Green Party, for example?  Theirs is an example of a platform that leaves god/religion out of their positions.  If you like anything in the Repub platform, it is so earmarked with Christian theocracy that, imo, you cannot vote Repub and not vote for Christian theocracy - and that is precisely their intent.

It would be nice to separate the issues without tying religion to the platform, but it's like linkage disequilibrium - Christian theocracy is disproportionately tied to many of the Repub positions far more than the Dems (but Obama and his "god" spouting is annoying too, at least to me).

RE: "Obama and his "god" spouting is annoying too, at least to me"

Ron, imagine you up for reelection, and you are

• a Black man in the White House
  • accused of not even being an American citizen
  • accused of being an Muslim sympathizer

Even if you were an atheist, would you want to add that label to the collection, when it's actually the only thing of the four, over which you have any control?

Do you understand what a "theocracy" is? If you did, you'd realize how absurd your reference to it is. Even states with official religions aren't theocracies. If they were, England would be governed by the Archbishop of Canterbury. Iran is a theocracy. The United States' Constitution will never allow it to become a theocracy. Start worrying when you hear talk of a constitutional convention.

RE: "how absurd your reference to it is" - are you sure you can't find nicer ways to say things to people, and still get your point across?

Well, in the same vein, you could have sent me a private message, pot.

POT?!! I thought I said it rather nicely --

I apologize.  Although several current Repubs have specifically stated we do get our "laws from god" and America was created by divine intervention, strictly speaking, I agree, "theocracy" is an overstatement. 

So, let me try to edit it to possibly make it less absurd; and I will try to make sure I do not overuse or inappropriately use "theocracy" in the future.

"Yes, but as you go through their platform, so many things hinge on Christian ideology.  Yes, the Dems have Christian ideology in their platform too, but nowhere near to the extent of the Repubs.  Why not adopt positions closer to the Green Party, for example?  Theirs is an example of a platform that leaves god/religion out of their positions.  If you like anything in the Repub platform, it is so earmarked with Christian ideology that, imo, you cannot vote Repub and not vote for Christian ideology underpinning our policies - and that is precisely their intent.

It would be nice to separate the issues without tying religion to the platform, but it's like linkage disequilibrium - Christian ideology is disproportionately tied to many of the Repub positions far more than the Dems (but Obama and his "god" spouting is annoying too, at least to me)."

Is this less absurd?

And, here's a link to the Repub Platform, if you haven't already read it.  How much Christian ideology do you see here?

http://www.gop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012GOPPlatform.pdf

I expect that the often used references to 'god' in the RNC copy, could have a simularity to excessive use of the word 'not' in early english. The attempt as to make it appear that the sentence was more negative the more 'not' was mentioned. In the case of the RNC, the more use of the term 'God, the more actual or pretend commonality with religious folks could appear. Marketing....

RSS

Forum

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 18 minutes ago. 2 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 11 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service