Come out of your closet and take your licks. How can you back an explicitly pro-religion party that thinks women are second-class citizens, chattels of their husbands and The State, and who favors widening the gap between the rich and non-rich even more?

Views: 3285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are there really any atheist republicans? It's like being a black klansman.

Speaking of black klansmen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i9iTYe6tEk

wld b called a oximoron
I don't like to generalize, but I will. Republicans seem to me to be individuals who choose their individualism over anything else. So, if they believe their pet issue (be in their portfolio, their religion, hating minorities, hating the poor, whatever) is best served by the republican party, they back the party. They ignore the things they don't like. They don't care if the party hurts others, that's collateral damage, as long as their pet issue is the one they think is being supported. Even if in reality it isn't.

How many times have you heard "I'm fiscally conserviatve but socially liberal...and I vote republican"? That's the republican standard right there, making that choice. Choosing the money (even though the economy always seems to be better under Democrats, so I really don't get that) over all else.

What I find sad Matthew, and a blot on this country, is that the rich Republicans depend, for their election, on the poor, illiterate, poorly-educated American, and by throwing in a few key catch-phrases, such as, "No Gun Control!," "No Abortions!" "Mom and Apple Pie!" and more recently, "God Forever!" those Americans proudly vote them into office, despite the fact that they're going to get royally screwed for the next four years!

One has only to look at the collective education level of the majority of the Red states, to see that that's true.

There may not be any willing to speak up here, but I have met many such in other fora.  At least I used to.  The republican party may have finally gone so far that even the libertarian atheists aren't willing to coexist with them anymore.

Wow, Mo - you are the first person I have ever seen to correctly use, "fora" as the plural of forum, I'm amazed and impressed!

(And no, that wasn't intended sarcastically --)

Likewise. In fact I first thought it a typo because it had been so long since I had seen the word used.

You also never hear anyone speak of "virii" --

With good reason. I knew I had heard that one before; now I remember why:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/virii

Follow the Wikipedia link at the end for more depth.

It's not surprising, considering that when the Latin language was still in use, no one had ever heard of a virus, but in my years of Latin, I was always taught that the plural of any word ending in "us," was "ii," words ending in "um" were pluralized by changing the "um" to "a" (as in "fora"), and singular words ending in "a," by changing it to "ae," i.e., "algae." If the Wikipedia article is true, and I noticed it was cited for lack of substantiation, then I would have to bet that even my Latin instructor was unaware of the exception. I will continue to use it in the future, until I know for certain that it is incorrect, but just not with smart people.

Yes, I saw that codicil. :) Technically, according to Latin rules of plural construction, you are very correct. It just seems that the hoi poloi have not consistently adopted that usage. I'm all for it, but I wanted to do my homework first. :p

RSS

Forum

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 55 minutes ago. 20 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 70 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Tor Hershman 5 hours ago. 3 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 8 hours ago. 21 Replies

What is the purpose of gender

Started by Christopher Swicegood in Small Talk. Last reply by Heather Spoonheim yesterday. 56 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 0 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service