Come out of your closet and take your licks. How can you back an explicitly pro-religion party that thinks women are second-class citizens, chattels of their husbands and The State, and who favors widening the gap between the rich and non-rich even more?

Views: 3356

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Arcus And why is a disparity in power harmful, what are the specific drivers which make it bad, and why would it be worse than i.e. Dahl's democratic dilemma?

Well, it would be pointless to answer that question without understanding what you count as a "driver." So, what sort of thing would you take as a driver that we might disagree about?

To me, it seems prima facie true that there is something undemocratic about people and corporations who already enjoy the advantages of wealth and power to use those resources to buy politicians and elections. And this is true even if the policies they foist on the public through this indirection are in fact good and/or true.

Something which drives the harm, much like how weapon type, bullet type, barrel design, ammo choice, distance, caliber, etc are the immediate driving forces behind the severity of a gunshot wound. It shouldn't be too hard to present one, seeing as it is, as you state, prima facie self evident, it's just better for a discussion to have some sort of launching point instead of a circular argument. 

DDD - that people form special interest groups which lobby for government programs and then turn around and vote against the funding of those programs - seems to be a substantially larger problem than the influence of the wealthy, seeing as they have only one vote too.

While mixing money in politics is not something I am in favor of, the deeper problem is that you, the voter, is allowing this without resorting to first (or second, for that matter) amendment rights. How did JFK put it again..?

Something which drives the harm, much like how weapon type, bullet type, barrel design, ammo choice, distance, caliber, etc are the immediate driving forces behind the severity of a gunshot wound. It shouldn't be too hard to present one, seeing as it is, as you state, prima facie self evident, it's just better for a discussion to have some sort of launching point instead of a circular argument.

Greed is a driver. Self-interest is natural and virtually instinctive, but greed goes beyond answering one's needs into a territory wherein one is acquisitive to a degree that mimics addiction. Another driver is similar to greed: the impulse to control others for the sake of controlling them and for the sake of feeding the greed. You don't think a need for dominion over others is dysfunctional?

DDD - that people form special interest groups which lobby for government programs and then turn around and vote against the funding of those programs - seems to be a substantially larger problem than the influence of the wealthy, seeing as they have only one vote too.

One vote? You're ignoring the ability of the wealthy and powerful to influence both the electorate and the policy makers through manipulating the flow of information (the electorate) as well as the flow of funds (the policy makers). They don't even need to vote. They can buy votes.

While mixing money in politics is not something I am in favor of, the deeper problem is that you, the voter, is allowing this without resorting to first (or second, for that matter) amendment rights. How did JFK put it again..?

I refer you to my answer to your second paragraph above.

Very freaking GOOD!

Thank you!

I will see if I can post this to my FB page.

I'm an atheist Libertarian instead... and right now a volunteer for the Democratic party! I'm soooo confused! :p

RE: "I'm soooo confused!"

John Travolta as "Vinnie Barbarino," in the 70's TV show, "Welcome Back Kotter," right? You had the accent down and everything!

Shhhh! You are revealing our ages!

There's no disguising the fact that I'm a fossil - I make no "bones" about it --

*groan* Have I fallen into Xanth?

You hoping Good Magician Humfrey can help you sort through the absurdity of this election?

Did you know that when Piers Anthony wrote those books, he had no clue that the title (pronounced, "Zanth") was included in his own name: "PierZANTHony --?

I call myself a quasi-libertarian. I believe in maximizing freedom but not in throwing citizens under the bus at the altar of liberty. I'm at the liberal end of the libertarian spectrum.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service