Come out of your closet and take your licks. How can you back an explicitly pro-religion party that thinks women are second-class citizens, chattels of their husbands and The State, and who favors widening the gap between the rich and non-rich even more?

Views: 3310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm still a registered Republican although I can not bring myself to vote Republican anymore.  I really don't identify with much in the party anymore.  I voted republican 10+ years ago before my de-conversion started.  I have not changed my party affiliation but I plan to go independent when I get a chance.  I still hold on to my fiscally conservative views and favor smaller government and a shift in responsibility closer to individuals and expanding out: individual -> family -> community -> town -> city -> state -> and country.

I'm liberal on almost every other topic now.  Thanks Atheism! :-)

@Unseen

Balancing the budget/removing the debt is actually a Republican concept? This is news to me. I thought being financially solvent was apolitical...... stooopid me.

I think after the events of the past couple weeks, with many Republicans backing off Romney's recent behavior (the Libya situation) and views (the 47% of America are deadbeats who don't pay taxes statement to donors), we need to ask, for starters, how about Romney. How can anyone, atheist or not, vote for the guy?Let's discuss the Romney revealed in the last couple weeks what with the Libya situation and his response and his "47%" comments to a room full of millionaires and billionaires.

I'm finding Romney to be the poster boy for being detached to the right of reality - and yes, I admit there are those detached to the left of reality.  Anyway, Romney makes one speech in which he claims that middle class families bring in roughly a quarter million a year, then says 47% are system dependent and pay no tax.

For the sake of argument, let's pretend that he means their net contribution to taxes after social benefits is zero.  Anyway, he seems to view the world in primary colours.  You are either a complete deadbeat, living in a comfortable middle class, or a wealthy aristocrat.  He apparently has no clue about the working poor, the struggling small business owners, the hard working contributors recently laid-off (many by Bain), or the deadbeat millionaires who inherit and then spend their time making fodder for the tabloids.

No TRUE atheist is a republican, haha.

I expect that once, being a republican, could include atheists. Sadly, republicans as a party, seem to have made a faustian bargain with the religious right. The twisted attempt to obtain a stable and commited voting block, has also commited them to ideologies that could be in direct conflict with the constitution. They are no longer the Party of Lincoln, but the party of creationists, anti-abortion, anti-gays, anti-immigrants, and 'Just US'.

If any out there still harbor warm and fuzzy feelings toward the Republican Party, let's just take a look at what a single Republican President managed to accomplish during his eight years (four "selected" years + four elected years) in office.

During that time, W:

•    After 8 years, couldn’t find Osama Bin Laden.

•    Lied about Iraq ’s WMD’s and ties to Al-Qaida, committing America ’s resources to pursue his personal vendetta.

•    Tried having Mohamed ElBaradei (head/UN International Atomic Energy Agency) fired for repeatedly warning that Saddam had no WMD’s.

•    Authorized the Patriot Act, converting the FBI into the KGB.

•    Exceeded Osama’s score of 3300, for the number of American deaths for which he’s responsible.

•    Appointed a crony’s roommate to head FEMA, who fretted tardiness for dinner while raging water swirled about Americans cowering on New Orleans’ rooftops ("You’re doin’ a HECKuva job, Brownie!").

•    Cut 80% of the Army Corps of Engineers’ request for levee improvement at New Orleans Lake Pont Chartrain, to fund his war in Iraq.

•    Signed a tax cut package primarily benefiting the rich.

•    Proposed an offsetting budget cut, reducing appropriations for Medicare, Medicade, educational programs, food stamps and student loans?

•    Threatened vetoing the McCain Amendment outlawing torture and human debasement, while maintaining: “We do not torture”.

•    Authorized offshore “Black Sites” to hold anonymous prisoners indefinitely, without recourse (or witnesses).

•    Allowed oil company cronies to gouge Americans for record gains (ExxonMobile 3rd quarter: $100 billion!), while having the power to regulate the market by releasing Federal reserves.

•    Was certainly aware of Dick “Halliburton” Cheney’s secret meeting with these same cronies.

•    Advocates opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to those cronies, allowing them to rape virgin wilderness in pursuit of oil profits.

•    Let a former attorney for Chevron-Texaco head an FTC investigation into oil company price gouging?

•    Chose a timber industry lobbyist to head the Forest Service.

•    Put a mining industry lobbyist (who considered public lands unconstitutional) in charge of Public Lands.

•    Installed a utility lobbyist, who represented the worst air polluters in America , head of the Clean Air division of the EPA.

•    Made a Monsanto lobbyist Number 2 at the EPA.

•    Made head of Superfund, a woman who taught corporate polluters how to evade Superfund regulations.

•    Made Edwin Foulke (partner in a union-busting law firm), head of worker health and safety with the Department of Labor.

•    Signed a Republican bill severely limiting bankruptcy protection (pushed by banking/credit card/retailing industries).

•    Installed a Rove crony, Kenneth Tomlinson (who was under investigation for misuse of Federal funds), as Chairman/Corporation for Public Broadcasting, to nudge PBS toward the Conservative Right (Elmo’s NEKKID!).

•    Appointed John “Mr. Congeniality” Bolton US Ambassador to the UN, behind the backs of vacationing Congress.

•    Put Stewart Simonson, general counsel for Amtrak, in charge of bioterrorism and other public health (including avian flu) emergencies, who had no experience – (“heck of a job, Stewie?") – in public health, bioterrorism, epidemiology, or even management.

•    Appointed nine campaign contributors, including three longtime fundraisers, to the Foreign Intelligence Board, whose job it was to “advise the President on the quality and effectiveness of US Intelligence efforts,” including a top fundraiser/former business partner, and two Texas oil men.

•    Set lawsuit caps (benefiting those who funded his campaigns), limiting liabilities of insurance companies, doctors, pharmaceutical companies, tobacco companies, etc.

•    Sought to privatize Social Security, guaranteeing billions to brokers in commissions and rollover fees.

•    Authorized pressure be put on the Food and Drug Administration to stall over-the-counter sale of the "Plan B" contraceptive, despite scientific findings that it was safe for such dispensation.

•    Appeared determined to insert religion into public schools to brainwash American youth.

•    Retained Karl Rove as his dark Merlin, approving the Rovian smearing, through lies and innuendo, of his opponents: Ann Richards, John McCain, Al Gore, John Kerry, and John Wilson.

•    Refused to allow UN Human Rights experts to privately interview Guantanamo detainees (allowed only the Red Cross, which keeps its findings confidential, reporting them only to the detaining power, vs the UN, which makes reports public).

•    Pulled a disappearing act for twelve hours after the WTC was struck.

•    Continued to vacation at Crawford for two days, as Katrina bore down on Louisiana .

•    Wouldn't acknowledge global warming.

•    Wouldn't acknowledge evolution as a reality.

•    Met with Omar Bongo, President of Gabon, less than ten months after lobbyist Jack Abramhoff (convicted of money-laundering) offered - for nine million dollars - to arrange such a meeting.

•    According to a U.N. report, had NO plan in place for governing post-invasion Iraq.

•    Denied foreknowledge of the sale of 21 American ports to an Arab company based in a MidEastern country known to encourage terrorists, yet he staunchly threatened to veto any legislation aimed at quashing the arrangement.

•    Demonstrated daily for the world that this country had a president who, despite his need to discuss the subject with intelligent, educated world leaders, couldn’t bother to learn to pronounce the word, “nuclear.”

I expect that this is not an exhaustive list?

Probably not, but my fingers are tired.

Good lord man, that's hilarious! And horrifying...can I post this list to face book? I have so many Romney Supporters blaming everything on Obama...I need ammo.

Of course! It's just something I collected a few years ago, in a debate with a Bushie, who called me, "Anti-American" because I objected to W's policies.

Two words: KARL ROVE.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service