How are we supposed to instill a sense of care and love for Earth, when most people that live on it believe their "ultimate" reward lies elsewhere?

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

'the sage would live no different were there no laws."  Lao Tzu

You shouldn't quote Lao Tzu. Translation is up for grabs. If you wanted to translated that same text as "the sage brush wilt scratch thine ass" it would be totally cool. Trust me. I have delved into the translation of those texts and it's all good.

Lou-fa. Maybe a good Lou-fa would do the trick.

For some reason, I have serious reservations about your translation.

What? Are you saying there are no xians in environmentalist foxholes?

I would hope they love their children and care about their quality of life. But yes there is always the apocalypse looming and the dominion over all living things as well. Animals don't receive souls, especially snakes and goats. It's the "go forth and multiply" that has my main concern.

I expect no 'ultimate reward'.

He who dies with the most stuff, wins?

If there is a 'reward', it could be to have children that survive you, you create something wonderful, that life and the planet continue because of your efforts, that you are so loved by people that they attend your funeral, that on you death bed you can look out at the world through your window and say it was a rather nice adventure!

Click......  

Kinda like, or not like, he who dies with the most stuff, but...

An anthropologist once told a class that in some native cultures, people die only when no living person remembers them. An uncommonly sensible idea.

Implying more environmental change:

In modern cultures, having streets, buildings, organizations, etc bearing the names of deceased folk confers a kind of immortality. (For instance, in San Francisco several one- or two-block long downtown streets bear the given names of Gold Rush-era prostitutes.)

And, doing harm so great that your name goes into history books confers another kind of immortality.

Do you drive a car?

Nuff said.

Actually, (though not 100% better), I use mass transportation to be more efficient.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

A libertarian approach to the drug problem

Started by Unseen in Law, Trials, and Decisions. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 27 minutes ago. 4 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 41 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Brett 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

Am I the only one bothered by this?

Started by Lefty G in Small Talk. Last reply by Brett 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service