We've had several mass school shootings in recent years and they all, to my recollection, have one thing in common. They don't seem to happen in inner city schools. They happen for the most part in mostly white suburban or small town schools. 

Why?

Tags: mass, people, school, shootings, white

Views: 544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You forgot masturbation.

How true.

These are all valid but not direct. Im white, I'm middle class leaning heavily on the side of poor. I remember when I was a kid I got bullied heavily for my femanine and withdrawn nature. I reported the problem over and over to my parents, to the school, nothing happened. Then one day the guy who like to fuck with me pushed me a little to far, I was probably almost nine at the time, so I said fuck it, I shoved him into his seat on the buss and punched him in the head untill he was litteraly unconcious. I felt like a hero, like He-man standing over the shattered remains of skelator. The school didn't care about all the bullying, I ended up in school therapy, my bully did not. My parents didn't care, they smacked me around, grounded me, took all my favorite things away. If I was from a poorer, more ethnic background my folks would have said "good job standing up for yourself", If I was rich then the school and my parents would have listend to my complaints to begin with, but because I was inbetween, I was expected to just suffer the crulety and dehumanization silently. People who don't beat the shit out of their bully are the ones who end up shooting up schools. That stuff stays with people forever. Just last year I heard the guy who used tofuck with me in school was run down by a drunk driver and bled to death alone on a dark country road, and despite how far I've come since my formative years, I felt as if this weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. A heavy, aweful weight that had been there for so long I didn't even know about it.

And what I mean by not direct is that violent video games are not actually violent, and neither is paintball. They are simulations. Real violence is a means to solving a problem of some kind or another, even if the assailent is insane and the problem is imagined.

So you believe violence solves problems, rather than tranfering them.  How did killing those children improve the circumstances of the murderer?  True, he exerted control over others for a brief period but then his life was over.

Do you also believe violence is an acceptable response to hardship? 

Yeah violence is an answer to a probleme. That doesn't mean I think it's a good answer, but thats why people become violent, as a means of changing something. I think you misunderstand this killer. He only had two goals, Murder his mom, and kill himself. All those children were just his suicide note. An expression of his rage and disgust with the world around him. Like the kids at columbine, he wanted to hurt the world. Like I said eralier, violence is a way to deal with a probleme even if the assailent is insane and the probleme is imagined.

"Do you also beleive violence is an addeptable response to hardship?"

What if you are being raped over and over again, in a setting like a prison where no one cares, or by a figure of authority, like your gardian, in a society that offers you no recourse. Is violence an acceptable answer to that hardship? Is violence an acceptable response to being taken as a slave? Violence is a natural response in human beings, and it's there for a real reason. In mentally ill people, however, this natural response is mangled like everything else, and expressed in ways that make no sense to reasonable people.

Nice that you can read the killer's mind, being of sound mind yourself.  First you're saying that violence solves problems, so I ask how the killer solved his problem.  Then you're saying that his actions were not driven by a need to solve a problem but instead, were a reaction to his compromised mental state.  Which was it? 

If you choose to go the route of "problem-solving,"  I have to ask again, what was his problem and how did killing people solve it?

Violence is a natural response in human beings, and it's there for a real reason.

Self-defense in the case of enslavement and/or rape are not the same as going on a killing spree.  It is natural to defend yourself and most people would consider it justifiable.  It is natural to have moments of homicidal rage, upon which sane people choose to act or not.  Mental illness is natural.  Violence from metntal illness is natural.  I could go on, but I think it's obvious that what is natural is not always acceptable human behavior.

To be fair, he specifically said it wasn't a good solution, just a solution in the killer's mind. Because he wasn't mentally healthy.

First you're saying that violence solves problems, so I ask how the killer solved his problem.  Then you're saying that his actions were not driven by a need to solve a problem but instead, were a reaction to his compromised mental state.  Which was it?

He did solve his problem, you keep talking like his death is supposed to be a downside to him. He obviously intended to die. He was mentally ill, and he clearly had a problem, at the core of which was his desire to stop living. You don't think he had a problem? you think he was happy and content with the world and thats why he shot all those kids and then killed himself? Or it was the children, they owed him money or had previously taunted him, right? Or was it that he didn't even know those kids, he was just expressing the rage and suffering that would drive him to take his life. You apply a very narow definition to the word problem, especialy when the man in question was so far away from sane.

Problem: I hate my mother, I hate the world, I wish I was dead.

Solution: violence against my mother, violence against the world, violence against myself.

It makes more sense then your blanket racist statment about how when white people don't get their way they "Take revenge on the world". Makeing assumptions about the attitudes and emotions of an entire people based on the color of their skin is racist. Also there are a lot more then 3 instances of non-white people engaging in serial-killing and mass murder. Ever hear of the liberian civil war? the entire thing was an exercise in mental illness, General butt-naked is perhapse the worst mass killer anyone could ever imagine. By the end of it people were selling human meat from carts.

I don't understand how murder and suicide are a solutions.  They don't make the situation better but worse.  So his problem may have been, "I hate my life."  Then make your life better.  Ending your life isn't solving your life's problems--it's opting out of the game.  (Which I wish all these spree killers would just do, without killing others) 

Please go back and read my comment about American spree killers, the majority of whom are white men and white boys.  Of course people of color are have done heinous things. We aren't talking the Liberian war, but those who commit a specific type of depravity, here in America.  I think that white males are socialized to handle their problems differently than other groups and they are taught to believe they are entitled to success.  Add a mental illness in that mix, and you have a person who feels cheated out of their due, may have a inaccurate grasp of reality, has poor coping mechanisms and has been socialized to see violence as an effective tool for problem solving.

In mentally ill people, however, this natural response is mangled like everything else, and expressed in ways that make no sense to reasonable people.

Hot damn, my man, this is a little black and white!  Not sure how you form this opinion.  Where did you complete your study of psychiatry and psychology and just how many "mangled" people have you personally known?

@ Hank

He only had two goals, Murder his mom, and kill himself. All those children were just his suicide note. An expression of his rage and disgust with the world around him.

I think you may have a good point there, because there is no other explanation that really fits as simply. 

The question still remains, though, as to why those were  his goals, why he was so disastrously angry and whether there is some underlying common denominator in the spate of similar killing sprees, from which we can learn.  Then we would be able to understand the causes, and decide if there is value in addressing them.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service